The Songfactors' Choice: Best Music Videos

Farin

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Might Think - The Cars Shawna

Thank you, thank you. :bow: :blush: *blowing kisses to my fans*

I'd like to share this very prestigious award with my partner in mind, and crime: MindCrime. :grin:

He thought of it before me, he gave it up because I begged and pleaded, and I'll most likely use what he wrote in his nomination in what I write in my stellar write-up for the video. :) :)

Weapon of Choice - Fatboy Slim

What would be cooler than taking an actor who's famous for a certain style of character and let him perform in a completely new way?

Director Spike Jonze lets Christopher Walken, who is known for his serious acting, perform a solo dance routine through an empty hotel lobby.

This video brought Jonze 6 MTV video music awards and Walken a whole new fanbase.

^ an interesting side note to Martin's paragraph-Christopher Walken got his start as a tap dancer in the chorus of several Broadway musicals. (Not to say Martin's paragraph needed that info ; I just dig Christopher Walken :D )

Buddy Holly~Weezer

Directed by the avant garde Spike Jonze, the video for Buddy Holly cleverly incorporates shots of Weezer playing on the original Happy Days Al's Drive-In set into clips from various episodes of the show itself, making it seem like Weezer was right at home with Richie and the Fonz. The video entertained viewers throughout 1995 and cemented the then new Weezer's place as a band to watch, while being both a sharp commentary on pop culture, and pure fun.

Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan

The original clip was actually the opening of the film Dont Look Back, a documentary on Bob Dylan's first tour of England in 1965, directed by D.A. Pennebaker. Bob Dylan wrote out the cue cards himself, intentionally using puns and misspelled words. This video is simple, but yet brilliant.

Don't Come Around Here No More ~ Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers...Directed by Jeff Stein

When VH1 became so popular in the 80's, this is one of the first videos that I absolutely loved, and still love watching it to this day. The idea of the video was actually Dave Stewarts idea, in which he also appears in the video.

Here's what Songfacts had to say about the video:

The video used an Alice In Wonderland theme, which was Stewart's idea - it reflected how he felt coming to Los Angeles. It was directed by Jeff Stein, who used a black and white tiled background and oversized, elaborate costumes starring Tom Petty as the Mad Hatter. Stewart appears in the beginning of the video playing the sitar on a giant mushroom. At the end, the girl becomes a cake and is eaten by the band, something that caused enough of a stir that they created a version where she doesn't get eaten. The video was a huge hit on MTV, helping introduce Petty to a younger audience and building anticipation for his next videos. (Read our interview with Dave Stewart.)

Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai

According to director Johnathon Glazer, "In the video, the four walls move on a stationary grey floor with no detail, to give the illusion that the floor is moving. In several shots, chairs or couches are fixed to the walls so that they appear to be standing still, when in fact they are moving. In other shots chairs remain stationary on the floor, but the illusion is such that they appear to be moving. The moving walls were not completely rigid and can be seen in some shots to wiggle slightly."

At the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards, "Virtual Insanity" won four awards out of ten nominations, including the "Best Video of the Year" and "Breakthrough Video."

Take On Me ~ A-ha

A young woman gets sucked into a comic book while in a cafe and America is introduced to a new wave band from Norway. This video put A-ha on the map with heavy rotation on MTV. Alas, the band was only a one-hit wonder here in the states, but the video lives on

Here's some stuff I copied from Wikipedia: "Two videos were made for the song, the first release of "Take On Me" in 1984 includes a different instrumentation, and was featured in the first video version, which shows the band singing with a blue background. The second attempt on this video was directed by Steve Barron, and filmed at Kim's Café and on a sound stage in London, in 1985. The video used a pencil-sketch animation/live-action combination called rotoscoping, where the live-action footage is traced over frame by frame to give the characters realistic movements."