The Songfactors' Choice: Best Music Videos

Farin

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my first nomination:

Cry - Godley & Creme

Not my favorite song but I have always loved this video.

Quote taken from the poster of this video on YouTube:

"Cry" is a single by Godley & Creme released in 1985. The song reached number 16 on the Billboard charts.

The duo also directed the song's music video, which featured faces blended into each other using analog cross-fading, anticipating the digital effect of morphing used in a very similar way in Michael Jackson's 1991 video, "Black Or White".

The song was also used by the television show Miami Vice in the episode "Definitely Miami" (1986).

I'm happy to see REM, Dylan and several others I had also considered nominating myself. If no one wants to nominate "Money For Nothing", I will. I do try to avoid duplicate artist nominations tho so I'm not sure. I also like "Brothers In Arms", so it's a tough choice :crazy:

I will take these:

Take on Me - A-Ha. Innovative, cute and with a story line that stood separately from the song. Was there a story to the song????? Who knows and who cares! These guys were easy on the eyes.

Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer. This video launched many parodies (Tone Loc's "Wild Thing" and Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" come to mind) and Robert Palmer used this format himself for two more videos. This video launched him into MTV superstardom and gained him a lot of younger fans.

As usual, I need to ask for some help in the YouTubage department.

I will take these:

Take on Me - A-Ha. Innovative, cute and with a story line that stood separately from the song. Was there a story to the song????? Who knows and who cares! These guys were easy on the eyes.

Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer. This video launched many parodies (Tone Loc's "Wild Thing" and Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" come to mind) and Robert Palmer used this format himself for two more videos. This video launched him into MTV superstardom and gained him a lot of younger fans.

I will take these:

I watched that last night on Pop Up Video,and in the interest of being a smarty pants I learned that all the animated parts were created in live action, then projected onto screens, then animators traced the images line by line and the drawings were then animated for the video.

I liked A-HA because one of the guys was named Pal Waaktaar and I thought that was cool ;)

I will take these:

Take on Me was the first one that came to mind when I saw this category. I will now have my work cut out for me to find noms.

Madness ruled the video world in the early 80's...back to the fledgling days of MTV.

"Nightboat To Cairo" was the first one I remember, and, to this day, it still makes me laugh my a$$ off. It was videos like this that made MTV a household word and made record companies mandate that their bands make a video to go along with the singles.....which, of course we all know, was the downfall of rock and roll as we knew it. So, I nominate two true classics....

"Nightboat to Cairo" - Madness (1979)

...and...."History Never Repeats" - Split Enz (1981)

...Now, if someone would be kind enough to YouTube me, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I need some clarification with this one...

Are we looking for videos that are out of the ordinary, groundbreakers, visually stunning, etc.? Or are we looking for great songs, too? I mean, will we be voting on the music, or the visual?

I think we're voting on the visual, the video itself, not so much the song.

I need some clarification with this one...

Are we looking for videos that are out of the ordinary, groundbreakers, visually stunning, etc.? Or are we looking for great songs, too? I mean, will we be voting on the music, or the visual?

as mindcrime said,

it's the first one... this is about best "music videos" and NOT "best music" videos

of course it doesn't hurt if it's a good song too, but that's not mainly what this is about :)

okay, even though I have about a dozen videos that I really, really want to nominate, I got to decide some time :P

Weapon of Choice ~ Fatboy Slim

what's cooler than taking a cult actor, like, say... Christopher Walken eg, and have him dance through an empty hotel lobby? ;)

directed by Spike Jonze (who also directed at least two of the other nominations to date :shades: )

it won 6 MTV Music Video Awards and a Grammy Award for "Best Short Form Video".

Oooo, I haven't been around to see how great this topic is shaping up! Lots of great videos here .... nice idea I had, huh? :)

whaadaya, mean it wasn't my idea? :blush: ;)

I'll throw my two cents in as soon as I can actually youtube again. Hopefully this weekend. :P