Boy Scout earns all 121 merit badges

Mike

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- A Long Island teenager has earned all 121 merit badges offered by the Boy Scouts of America. Oceanside resident Shawn Goldsmith earned his final badge - for bugling - in time for his 18th birthday in November. He far surpassed the 21 badges required to achieve the elite rank of Eagle Scout.

He said he took about five years to earn his first 62 badges and then nearly doubled that number in a matter of months. He did it with the encouragement of his grandmother, who died shortly before he reached his goal.

The Binghamton University freshman was awarded his final badges on Dec. 19. He said he hopes to become a businessman and politician.

Copyright © 2008 Associated Press

I'm totally impressed by this kid. Attaining the level of Eagle is no easy feat. The requirements for badges become progressivly more difficult. That he not only did that, but earned all 121 is amazing. Good going kid! :)

My boys were involved in Scouts, as it was sort of a family tradition. My eldest made Eagle, and another made Star. Neither were/are geeky or dorky in any fashion. Scouts made for some great experiences for them as kids. Scouting was not only great fun, but they have memories and made life long friendships that they would never have had the chance at otherwise. They were lucky in that they belonged to a very active (and very reputable) troop.