Looking for love song with imagery from UK

racingfan

A whiles back, I posted a question, looking for a medieval or renaissance sort-of song for the first dance at my wedding in a castle next year. I got a lot of suggestions, but nothing has clicked. So I thought, since we're also including elements of our heritage (English) in the wedding, and we're planning to go to the UK for the honeymoon, then I could use a first dance song with references to England, London, etc. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help!

LOL -- Yeah, I always said the same thing, quick trip to the courthouse or Vegas and bam, we're married. Funny how things change...

Actually, the planning is kind of fun except for this &%$*!(#$ first dance song! I can't for the life of me find a good medieval or Renaissance-themed love song anywhere that both fiance and I like, so I thought maybe switching the song theme would help. I've been searching metal, medieval folk, and nothing seems right (and yes, I know about Blackmore's Night, but sadly, none of their love songs seem to fit for me). Open to any and all ideas!

perhaps for the best.

It has probably been mentioned before in the context of your earlier quest, but "Greensleeves" is the classic English song. Scrolling down the link reveals a rundown of various recordings of Greensleeves, none of which could really be guaranteed to "get this party started", but what can you do?

It's worth pointing out that London / English imagery is quite far removed from Scots, Welsh and Irish imagery. If the family history is specifically English then that ought to be the focus of the search. (Speaking as the first generation of English in a Scottish family) it would be utterly ridiculous to try and create an aura of Englishness by using traditional Scots music and dress.

The most likely source of a suitable track for this is the English folk scene, of which , alas, my familiarity is minuscule.

Or, how about:

"English Rose" - The Jam which is a pretty and gentle song about returning to one's beloved English home. Or is it a love song for a girl? You can't tell. Clever, that.

English Rose - The Jam

No matter where I roam

I will return to my English rose

For no bonds can ever tempt me from she

I've sailed the seven seas,

Flown the whole blue sky.

But I've returned with haste to where my

Love does lie.

No matter where I go I will come back to my English Rose

For nothing, could ever tempt me from she.

I've searched the secret mists -

I've climbed the highest peaks

Caught the wild wind home

To hear her soft voice speak

No matter where I roam

I will return to my English Rose

For no bonds can ever keep me from she.

I've been to ancient worlds

I've scoured the whole universe

And caught the first train home

To be at her side.

No matter where I roam

I will return to my English Rose

For no bonds, can ever keep me from she

Maybe

Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy

You'll remember me when the west wind moves

Among the fields of barley

You can tell the sun in his jealous sky

When we walked in fields of gold

So she took her love for to gaze awhile

In his arms she fell as her hair came down

Among the fields of gold

Will you stay with me will you be my love

And you can tell the sun in his jealous sky

I never made promises lightly

And there have been some that I've broken

But I swear in the days still left

We will walk in fields of gold

We'll walk in fields of gold

I never made promises lightly

And there have been some that I've broken

But I swear in the days still left

We will walk in fields of gold

We'll walk in fields of gold

Many years have passed since those summer days

See the children run as the sun goes down

As you lie in fields of gold

You'll remember me when the west wind moves

You can tell the sun in his jealous sky

It has probably been mentioned before in the context of your earlier quest, but "Greensleeves" is the classic English song. Scrolling down the link reveals a rundown of various recordings of Greensleeves, none of which could really be guaranteed to "get this party started", but what can you do?

Greensleeves was my suggestion in your first post on this subject. Not a real party song, but a beautiful, traditional English song through and through, as well as being very romantic for a first dance.

You could then segue into the "party" song. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The radio just played Fog on the Tyne, by Lindisfarne.

It is old-style folk music, with a hint of medieval atmosphere, but I am not sure it is the answer to your requirement.

But in Lindisfarne's repertoire might be just that particular type of song you're looking for.