Bob Dylan Song

Bree15357

Maybe someone will correct me on this, maybe someone knows more, but I always thought Quinn was a figment, but the anticipation of a messiah figure. It's implied that "everybodys in despair". I DO KNOW the Manfred Mann's cover reached #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1968 , I dig this song too!!

Like most Dylan songs, the meaning is in the ear of the beholder! It might be about a messianic figure, but he wrote it many years before his ( happily brief) born again christian phase, so that interpretation seems unlikely to me.

I suspect a more likely answer is that it doesn't really have any particularly deep meaning at all; I've always regarded it as one of his more off-the-cuff efforts, a pleasant enough song but not one that ranks anywhere near his best work.Sometimes even Dylan writes just for his own amusement!

When we interviewed Ron Cornelius, who played guitar on several Dylan albums, I asked him about what he thought some of Dylan's lyrics meant. His answer was something like, "If anyone tries to tell you they know what Bob Dylan was thinking when he wrote a song, they're lying."

Dylan's a tough one. His songs mean a lot, but they mean different things to different people. Dylan himself rarely says what they mean to him.

• 4 months later...