Whistling: só un-rock'n-roll..

JumboXL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... this thread has illustrated the point of the original poster (whoever that was; I forget) ...

And it would so damned hard hard to click on page 1. Besides, this wonderfully demonstrates a true Punk sensibility.

... Argue, if you will.

Here- "Wonderful" - the Circle Jerks use whistling to great effect. Without it, the song would just be...nowhere near as good.

I think I will argue that the song is just nowhere near good - period.

And it would so damned hard hard to click on page 1. Besides, this wonderfully demonstrates a true Punk sensibility.

I think I will argue that the song is just nowhere near good - period.

SFW?

1) Sometimes, when posting at work- and especially when including links to youtube clips, etc.- I have to work pretty flipping fast to avoid being nabbed by the supervisor and risk a bollocking. So, responding to spontaneous thought, I started my post without checking who originated the thread. I was part-way through my post when I realised I didn't have that information to hand. Really; does it matter?

2) We are invited to provide examples in rock'n'roll (not "pop") of "whistling enhancing a song", or to comment on whether this is even possible. I propose that "Wonderful" by The Circle Jerks is significantly enhanced by the whistling bit. Perhaps, like you, I feel that "Wonderful" is otherwise generic substandard punk-rock, but I do feel that the whistling improves it somewhat. In any case; whether anybody likes "Wonderful" or not is neither here nor there. Is the purpose of the thread to pass critical judgement on the quality of suggested songs? I think not. Who has time in their day to listen to all these "songs with whistling in them", to decide whether they rate them or not? Should we all go through the list NOW, and say what we think of each one? :(

Perhaps, like you, I feel that "Wonderful" is otherwise generic substandard punk-rock, but I do feel that the whistling improves it somewhat. In any case; whether anybody likes "Wonderful" or not is neither here nor there. Is the purpose of the thread to pass critical judgement on the quality of suggested songs? I think not. Who has time in their day to listen to all these "songs with whistling in them", to decide whether they rate them or not? Should we all go through the list NOW, and say what we think of each one?

All intended tongue-in-cheek, b-f buddy.

bazooka is never exorbitant with wit-defeating smilies/graemlin/emoticons:laugh:

does it matter?

Nope.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. However, to me, it just seemed a bit dismissive to the original poster. If it was one of us more regular posters, that wouldn't be so bad. But Jumbo isn't around as much and I wouldn't want him to think that he isn't important enough to matter to Songfacts, because he is and he does.

Well, for what it's worth and in the interests of balancing out my earlier faux pas, I'd like to congratulate Jumbo for posing an interesting question and, in so doing, starting a stimulating and informative thread. :bow:

You'd think this stuff would be easier at home, but, truth be told, if I get caught at it when I should be busy with other stuff, I'm equally likely to face a disciplinary.

Plus, Mrs Fitter is harder to schmooze than my manager.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...