Bush gets the "shoe" in Iraq

MindCrime

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I probably shouldn't find this funny, but I find this funny.

I posted about this earlier this afternoon in the announcements thread and felt exactly the same way Tim.

I didn't know if I should laugh or be insulted that he disrespected my president like that. The laughing won out :laughing:

Ya gotta admit he did a good dodge of that fist shoe for an old fella :D

The only thing better would have been watching the Secret Service beat the life out of that guy. That would have been a good ending.

It really does not matter what political party you back or what you think of the president...when idiots in and out of the US start throwing shoes...start showing total disrespect..it's time to set an example.

Please, please don't say this is a "Bush" thing either. This is an attack and I would say the same thing no matter who was in office. Attack a US president..or the leader of any country, with a fist, a shoe or any weapon and there is a serious price to pay.

Even tho I found the images funny, I have to agree with you Ron. There has to be some kind of consequence for the guy expesially with what a shoe represents in that country. I don't think the guy should die but he should face some serious consequence.

While I don't like Bush and never have, he is still my President and represents my country and any kind of an attack on him is not acceptable.

I think the Secret Service was a little slow to react I didn't think much of that. It is sad that Bush has become so unpopular that the American public including me, reacted in the way we did.

The problem is that this incident is now an international joke. "It was just George Bush, he deserves it." "I wish I had thrown the shoe." The media and comedians now have some more material for their shows. This guy gets crowned as the guy who threw his shoes at the President of the United States and got away with it.

I wonder what the punishment is for throwing your shoes at a world leader? Banned from shopping at Florsheim for life? Who knows? What I do know is that this guy is now a hero in Iraq. Saddam Hussein's lawyer wants to defend him.

What would have happened to him if he threw a shoe at Saddam Hussein? He wouldn't need shoes after Saddam's guards took care of him.

as I said, I agreed with the rest of your post... of course he should be punished for this, I don't know how, but a hefty monetary fine or some weeks or months in jail should be adequate...

maybe he would have had a way harder punishment in Saddam's dictatorship, but - really - should THAT be the example with how we treat criminals?

(paraquote) "the quality of a government/country can be seen with how they deal with their opponents"

(see the current events in Russia to that too)

I agree some kind of serious consequence needs to take place. Death or torture, no. But something that will suit the crime. I think we need to leave it up to both our governments as to what that will be.

I still say The Secret Service was quite lax. They should have had The President covered before the second shoe ever hit the air. What if it had been something more lethal like a knife or something. I'm very disappointed with their response.

Saddam Hussein's lawyer wants to defend him.

Hussein was hung wasn't he? :couch:

Edited by Guest

I have to agree with you. I thought they were very slow to react. If you have ever watched any of the film/video of the secret service in action (especially the Reagan shooting) they moved in an instant. Here, it looks like they were stunned.

I guarantee there is new training being developed today to defend the president against thrown objects. It reminds me the Monty Python sketch about how to protect yourself if someone attacks you with fresh fruit. What's sad is that the secret service is reminding me of a Monty Python sketch.

Good point about the lawyer, but I guess he needs clients.

I'm the first to admit that I've been very critical of Bush's "reign of error" (Robin Williams)but I agree with Ron.

I consider the Iraqi journalist's shoe throwing as an assault on the President Of The United States. I don't care what his reason is...it's an assault on my president and tantamount to an attack on the US. The moment we start taking these things lightly is when we become the same as some rinky dink, two-bit excuse for a nation.

I wouldn't have cared if the security detail had beaten this guy to a pulp while taking him into custody. The full extent of the law (even be it Iraqi) should be extended upon this ass.

Throw verbal bricks at Bush. That should be everyone's right. Throw shoes or any other object and bear stiff consequences. He's the US President and I back him all the way in this instance.

PS: In the US we actually extol the virtue of our freedom to vote people like Bush out of office. There's no excuse for advocating any type of violence against the President. I hope we don't make the mistake of taking such things lightly.

Edited by Guest
To add my PS.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and say the man should not be punished at all. Yes, what the man did was horribly insulting by his culture's standings, but if anybody deserves to be taken down a notch it's finally-almost-not-president Bush. I think this sums up the world's opinion of us because of president Bush, so it's fitting that he gets a taste of it to dwell on once he leaves office.

Throw verbal bricks at Bush. That should be everyone's right. Throw shoes or any other object and bear stiff consequences. He's the US President and I back him all the way in this instance.

again, I completely agree with this... it's the "so let them beat him to a pulp" part I have problems with...

why do we have laws if we can just say that they don't apply here because he attacked the president (I believe there are already special laws (without beating) that cover this area)

PS, Tim when you edit a post there's a "Delete post" option right at the top :)

Tim I disagree. Our president is basically a symbol of our nation regardless of whether we like him or not.

That man didn't just throw his shoe at Bush. He throw it at you and me as well.

I did find it humorous at first and then I had one of those, Hey wait a minute moments. He just threw a shoe at us :beady: The symbolism behind that action is appalling.

You just can't allow people to do whatever comes to mind to any leader of a country. If one of our citizens had done that...

Maybe this is where the generation gap starts showing :crazy:

Sometimes brute force is the only language that is understood. That may be a sad commentary on society and the world...but it is the flat out truth.

I like to think that 99% of the world act appropriately and within the guidelines set up within society. Like Joe said in his post, everyone has the right to criticize the president or any other public figure. You don't have the right to attack them physically. This guy is a reporter...why didn't he write the definitive anti-Bush article and have it distributed worldwide? He chose to throw a shoe (or two).

If the punishment this reporter gets equals a slap on the wrist, what gets lobbed at a world leader next?

I am not pleased that my tax dollars support Sirhan Sirhan who assassinated RFK in 1968 and David Hinckley who attempted to assassinate Reagan in 1981. Is a gun attack worse than a shoe attack...only in the result. The action is the same.

BTW, I know it is impossible to change opinions on the message boards of SongFacts. I don't expect that to happen. I just feel strongly about the subject.

I had written a long dissertation on the failure of the Secret Service in this instance, but it was eaten by whatever eats my lengthy posts. Anyway, they messed up and there are still a lot of people over there (and probably here, too) that would like to see our president dead. Very scary, and I am sure after he was off camera, the president has someones ass.

Tim I disagree. Our president is basically a symbol of our nation regardless of whether we like him or not.

That man didn't just throw his shoe at Bush. He throw it at you and me as well.

Of course he threw it at all of us. That's the point. This president has represented our nation in such a disgusting manner as to bring this kind of judgment upon us. Do the people of America deserve it? No (although the fact that he got voted in for a second term is disheartening), but I think the president should see first hand what he has done to our reputation. It'll give him something to think about while better people clean up the mess he left.

And if you don't believe this is a man who deserves to have a shoe thrown at his head, read this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/24991066/bushs_final_fu

Sorry everyone, but I find it ridiculous that just holding a position of power makes you protected from repercussions. If anything, there should be more shoes thrown at you if you screw up in an office of such importance. An office is only as honorable as the person who occupies it.