Females in Rock music

Farin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Freudian part of me wants to say, well, men are the ones who need the "extension" of their machismo by having an instrument in their hands, plus the idolation and attention that women bestow upon men in bands.

Women (generally speaking) don't have a need for that sort of attention (nor "extension"), and if they DO want the attention, all they need to do is look pretty and men drool.

As far as serious musicians are concerned (i.e. the ones who are not hormonally driven), I agree with Edna in that it IS a biased world. The Go-Gos were such an anomaly being an all-girl band that in the beginning that was mentioned in every article about them.

Plus, again as Edna said, women just have a different psyche about what it takes to succeed in a midnight drugs and drinking and groupie world.

I disagree SO much with the 'women don't have such a need for attention.' They have a much greater need for attention methinks.

I also disagree with the Freudian extension bit but that'll keep me going for hours. So I'll just say that Freud is to psychology what astrology is to science.

So, men + women (i.e. human beings) have a need for attention, but just get it in different ways (e.g. why are there more female models?)

now pass us the brownies so we can go listen to some cute boy bands

:laughing: :laughing:

Here you are... :cool: for my friends, the girls who agree with me... :shades:

f_fudgybrownim_9763f4d.jpg

As for me, I´m gonna relax :hippie: for awhile and then stay home with my spanish hubby and watch some dvd... while the rockers are having fun on a Friday night full of... sweat! :grin:

...but you ALL admit that there are a whole lot more bands WITHOUT female members and it doesn't make any difference whatsoever if you list a hundred of them... so, why? :shades:

Because it's generally an ugly, unattractive, uncomfortable, graceless, crude, rough, disheartening job. Most men get sick of it eventually, and most women get sick of it before they even start.

I suspect that this is changing as we move away from pay-your-dues-on-the-road-for-five-years-before-you-ever-make-a-record. If you don't have to hang out with roadies, it suddenly becomes a much more female-friendly business ;-)

LBBB

I propose some of you who want to know get into a rock band´s tour or spend a couple of months hanging with the musicians everywhere they go. It´s like when you spend three months shooting a movie. It´s such fun when you see it from outside. Just try to be part of it... :shades:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I play drums cuz I suck at guitar... maybe that's why these chicks play bass? Maybe they can't sing or play drums or play some fancy riff on the six-string.

Or maybe they were just very good at what they did so the bands hired them regardless of sex?