Grammy Nominees Announced

Viaene

Grammy Nominees Announced

Metallica, Judas Priest, Mötley Crüe, Slipknot and Disturbed are among the nominees for the 51th annual Grammy Awards, which will be held on Sunday, February 8, 2009 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The nominees in the "Hard Rock", "Metal", "Rock Instrumental" and "Rock" categories are as follows:

Best Hard Rock Performance:

Disturbed - "Inside The Fire"

Judas Priest - "Visions"

The Mars Volta - "Wax Simulacra"

Mötley Crüe - "Saints Of Los Angeles"

Rob Zombie - "Lords Of Salem"

Best Metal Performance:

Dragonforce - "Heroes Of Our Time"

Judas Priest - "Nostradamus"

Metallica - "My Apocalypse"

Ministry - "Under My Thumb"

Slipknot - "Psychosocial"

Best Rock Instrumental Performance:

David Gilmour - Castellorizon

Metallica - Suicide & Redemption

Nine Inch Nails - 34 Ghosts I-IV

Rush - Hope (Live For The Art Of Peace)

Zappa Plays Zappa - Peaches En Regalia

Best Rock Album:

Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus

Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night

Metallica - Death Magnetic

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely

For the first time, nominations were announced on prime-time television as part of "The Grammy Nominations Concert Live!! - Countdown To Music's Biggest Night". The one-hour special — broadcast live on CBS from Nokia Theatre L.A Live — featured past Grammy winners and nominees reading nominations in several categories, as well as performing songs from the Grammy Hall Of Fame in celebration of the grand opening of the Grammy Museum.

Grammy ballots for the final round of voting will be mailed on December 17 to the voting members of The Recording Academy. They are due back to the accounting firm Deloitte by January 14, 2009, when they will be tabulated and the results kept secret until the telecast.

The 51st annual Grammy Awards will be broadcast live in high-definition TV and 5.1 surround sound on CBS from 8 to 11:30 p.m. (ET/PT).

I highlighted all the ones I think will win

Best Hard Rock Performance:

Disturbed - "Inside The Fire"

Judas Priest - "Visions"

The Mars Volta - "Wax Simulacra"

Mötley Crüe - "Saints Of Los Angeles"

Rob Zombie - "Lords Of Salem"

Best Metal Performance:

Dragonforce - "Heroes Of Our Time"

Judas Priest - "Nostradamus"

Metallica - "My Apocalypse"

Ministry - "Under My Thumb"

Slipknot - "Psychosocial"

Best Rock Instrumental Performance:

David Gilmour - Castellorizon

Metallica - Suicide & Redemption

Nine Inch Nails - 34 Ghosts I-IV

Rush - Hope (Live For The Art Of Peace)

Zappa Plays Zappa - Peaches En Regalia

Best Rock Album:

Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus

Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night

Metallica - Death Magnetic

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely

I mean, holy beelzebub

And now, for your listening pleasure, Grammy award nominated.....musician.... KID ROCK!

How is that a contender for best rock ALBUM?

as in, a whole collection of songs?

In fact, how are any of those ALBUMS up for best ALBUM? As even the best of those have maybe four listenable songs

KID ROCK?

How about Stephen Malkmus' Real Emotional Trash?

How about MMJ's Evil Urges? (oh wait, that's in best 'alternative' album... what the hell does 'alternative' even mean anymore?) How is Evil Urges even remotely alternative? I listened to that and thought that it was one of the great rock guitar albums... ever, along with Real Emotional Trash

What is it that separates Evil Urges from rock? I mean it's loud, it's occasionally fast, sometimes slow, but always ROCKing,

BLAH!

BLAH!

Who I think should win each category (or at least, the ones I have an opinion about) :

Record of the year: MIA - Paper Planes

May end up being one of the anthems of our generation. Such a great track.

Album of the year: Radiohead - In Rainbow

although Lil Wayne will probably win it (since he got so many noms), which is cool, because it actually might be interesting to watch the Grammy's this year if someone as eccentric and weird as Lil Wayne wins a ton of awards.

Song of the year: Estelle - American Boy

Never understood how this award differs from record of the year, but this song was great. Pop perfection for sure.

Best Electronic/Dance Album: Daft Punk - Alive 2007

One of the best live electronic albums of all time. I actually can't even think of a better one off the top of my head.

Best Alternative Music Album: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Shouldn't be a doubt in the grammy voters minds!

Best solo rap performance: Lil Wayne - A Milli

This is actually my favorite song of the year. I didn't think Tha Carter III lived up to expectations for the most part. All his mixtapes are pretty fragmented, containing a few moments of genius and a lot of not so great stuff, so his album should have been perfect, but it wasn't. No matter, A Milli is still a great song. The lyrics make no sense when you read them but when he's rapping it all makes perfect sense.

other thoughts:

-I can't believe Wayne Brady covered A Change Is Gonna Come.

-I wonder how they're going to announce Nas' song in the best solo rap performance category