Modest Mouse Appreciation Thread

Foolonthehill

ok, there may already be a Modest Mouse thread, but I searched and couldn't find one, so here's a new one.

I've just recently started to appreciate Modest Mouse.

I've listened to "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About" a few times in the past couple weeks, and it is an excellent album. I'd heard some Modest Mouse in past, but nothing really grabbed me until now. I've also listened to "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" and it's pretty good and really accessible, but it didn't really have an impact on me the way that Long Drive did. I'm going to have to check out some of their other stuff.

Anyways, any other Modest Mouse fans here?

Edit the Sad Parts is an amazing song, especially considering how... not very good it is

(listen to the... 'drummer')

Moon and Antarctica is a modern classic, 3rd Planet is one of those songs that grabs ya from the opening notes.

I'd really give any of their stuff a shot, even Sad Sappy Sucker has some pretty awesome moments.

I'm not the biggest Before the Ship Even Sank fan, it has some really great songs, but it also has some of Modest Mouse's lowest (non lo-fi related) moments

Good News was the first time that they had to focus down into songs (whereas on earlier releases you'll find 45 second songs to 8-10 minute ones) that are of 'radio friendly' length, which kind of hurt that whole ramshackle vibe that was on all the previous MM releases-which I found charming, but on the other hand helped Brock to be more cohesive in his songwriting.

Ocean Breathes Salty is the best example of this new 'disciplined' sound helping a lot

whereas I'd say songs like "Blame it On the Tetons" and "One Chance" could have benefited from a 4 minute plus fuzzed out lo-fi guitar symphony.

As far as passing judgment on Before the Ship Sank tho, I kind of think of it as the first album as a new band, as it is the first release and effort with Johnny Marr playing and writing, so maybe it will get better, maybe it will get worse, maybe it's just changing into a style that I don't enjoy as much as the old stuff, but will be found enjoyable by others.