The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #144

Lucky

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Right Hand Man - Joan Osborne (1995)

2. Walkin' The Dog - Rufus Thomas (1963) (Joe is the only one to recognize this!)

3. Keep The Customer Satisfied - Simon & Garfunkel (1970) (one of S&G's most underrated)

4. Miracles - Jefferson Starship (1975)

5. Orange Crush - R.E.M. (1988)

6. Closer To Free - Bodeans (1995)

7. Steam Roller Blues - James Taylor (1970) (very good, for white bread blues!)

8. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler (1983)

9. All About You - The Rolling Stones (1980) (I would have voted Memory Motel higher)

10. Run Runaway - Slade (1983)

Memory Motel... that'll get my vote.

...I would have voted Memory Motel higher

I know... many of you would. But the point for me - at least, in the last months - is nominationg songs I'd like to share with you, not really well-known songs.

Anyways, I plan to nominate "Memory Motel" next Top... knowng it's also a less known Stones song - a very beautiful one... :cool:

But the point for me -at least, in the last months- is nominating songs I'd like to share with you, not really well-known songs.

Ahh, I see. Hmm... I've looking at that big list of songs, and I'm thinking it might be a great list to give to a Martian, a growing list of the world's greatest songs. But if we deliberately leave out songs that should legitimately be there, simply because we all know them so well, then the list is something different... more targeted at people who really know their music and are looking for stuff that is unfamiliar. I'm thinking that I might design my nominations in the future... one that we would mostly agree is one of the great songs, plus one that might be new to many of you, and will possibly never make the list, being widely unknown.

Anyways, just thinking out loud...

LBB

I've looking at that big list of songs, and I'm thinking it might be a great list to give to a Martian

:laughing: :laughing:

I don't think a Martian would appreciate rarities, you know... :shades: I'm sure they're more familiar with Supertramp or Sting... :cool:

What I mean is that some rare songs being my fave ones I want other songfactors to decide whether I'm a freak - or a martian - or not and if those hidden gems deserve to be in the Top.

I know, if I nominate "She Loves You" or "Mrs Robinson" - which are also some of my fave songs - they will go straight on top...

Your Blondie nom should have made it higher on my list... this was a very tough week for the Top.

I want to thank S'bastien (merci! ! ) who has voted for my Flash & The Pan nom... :grin: :grin: :laughing:

I'm sure that if some of you took some 3 minutes to listen to it, you'll love it. No problem, I will re-nominate it again for the fifth time or so... :grin:

I want to thank S'bastien (merci! ! ) who has voted for my Flash & The Pan nom... :grin: :grin: :laughing:

I'm sure that if some of you took some 3 minutes to listen to it, you'll love it. No problem, I will re-nominate it again for the fifht time or so... :grin:

But did you notice the disloyal Australian who didn't vote for it? ;-)

LB

I know, if I nominate "She Loves You" or "Mrs Robinson" -which are also some of my fave songs- they will go straight on top...

Well I reckon that if they would go straight to the top then they should get nominated and added to the list. I wouldn't really want our Martian to think that we prefer Hey St Peter to Mrs Robinson.

That's why I'm going to split my nominations between one well-known and one unknown favourite.

What do you think?

LB

I think my nominations are about 20-80...

20% songs that I think should get into the Ten

80% songs that I want to share with the other SFers, so that will be stuff that most haven't heard before

... of course I would like to see every nom make the Ten because they're all awesome songs, but I know that for 85% that's rather unrealistic ;)

Run Runaway - Slade (Hard to believe that this was Slade's biggest hit....well, biggest one that SLADE recorded, anyway.)

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Funny, I'd never heard that song before. I just checked Wikipedia and it really was their biggest hit in the States, over here they had a whole string of hits. I think the most well-known one is Far Far Away... that one didn't even chart in the US. Merry Xmas Everybody too I guess... seems like that one entered the charts 11 times over the course of 35 years :P

1. Boys Don't Cry - The Cure (1979)

2. Orange Crush - R.E.M. (1988)

3. You! Me! Dancing! - Los Campesinos! (2007) ( :thumbsup: )

4. Transmission - Joy Division (1979)

5. Natural's Not In It - Gang Of Four (1979)

6. La Femme d'Argent - Air (1998)

7. Shoot Down - The Prodigy (2004)

8. All These Things I've Done - The Killers (2004)

9. Closing Time - Semisonic (1998)

10.In All The Wrong Places - Ulrich Schnauss (2003)

1. Shangri-La - The Kinks (1969)

2. At Seventeen - Janis Ian (1975)

3. Keep On Running - Spencer Davis Group (1965)

4. Gypsy (Of A Strange And Distant Time) - The Moody Blues (1969)

5. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)

6. Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground (1967)

7. Quarter To Three - Gary U.S. Bonds (1961)

8. Closing Time - Leonard Cohen (1992)

9. Steam Roller Blues - James Taylor (1970)

10. Run Runaway - Slade (1983)

1] Phone Booth - Robert Cray (1983)

2] Sign Your Name - Terrence Trent D'Arby (1987)

3] Down To Zero - Joan Armatrading - (1976)

4] Walkin' The Dog - Rufus Thomas (1963)

5] Rapture - Blondie (1981)

6] Southbound Pachyderm - Primus (1995)

7] You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) - Sylvester (1978)

8] Miracles - Jefferson Starship (1975)

9] Transmission - Joy Division (1979)

10] Rescue Me - Buckcherry (2008)

^ "Far Far Away" was their biggest hit here too, but also "Cum on feel the noize" or "My Oh My"... "Mama Weer All Crazee now", "The Bangin' Man" and a few other Top 10 hits... all in all far from being a one hit wonder ;)

Their biggest hit -or at least one of their most famous song- is "Coz I Luv You" ...which I'm going to nominate again... :shades:

1. Rapture - iiO (2001)

2. In All The Wrong Places - Ulrich Schnauss (2003)

3. La Femme d'Argent - Air (1998)

4. Shoot Down - The Prodigy (2004)

5. Southbound Pachyderm - Primus (1995)

6. Rapture - Blondie (1981)

7. You! Me! Dancing! - Los Campesinos! (2007)

8. Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground (1967)

9. Hey, St Peter - Flash and The Pan (1978)

10. Beautiful World - Devo (1981)

Gang of Four, The Cure and Joy Division were fighting for #10 but Devo won.