All Genres of Rock

Batman

I am trying to compile a list of all the different styles and genres (yes, both styles AND genres!) of rock. Here are the ones I can think of before I go eat dinner.

Hard Rock

Heavy Metal

punk rock

pop rock

emo

psychadelia

jam bands (phish, grateful dead)

grunge

stadium rock

prog rock (Yes)

folk rock

southern rock

Allmusic.com (AMG) has a huge list of genres and styles with definitions and examples of each. Here are a few:

Alternative rock

Glam-rock

Indie rock

Space rock

Blues-rock

Mod

Singer/Songwriter

Soft rock

Merseybeat

British Invasion

:headphones:

I would say that the british invasion isn't really a genre or style(same with singer/songwriter

I would say that the british invasion isn't really a genre or style(same with singer/songwriter

Your right Danielj, neither is really a distinct genre or style.

British Invasion was more of movement but each 'Invasion' band did draw from the same influences so they did have a similar 'style'. And it is a collective term for American-influenced British-based music styles (mod, merseybeat etc.)

Singer/songwriters is sort of a sub-genre, I guess, but they did have a similar 'style'. To quote AMG:

"Singer/Songwriter refers to the legions of performers that followed Bob Dylan. Most of the original singer/songwriters performed alone with an acoustic guitar or a piano. Their lyrics were personal, although they were often veiled by layers of metaphors and obscure imagery. Singer/songwriters drew primarily from folk and country, although certain writers like Randy Newman and Carole King incorporated the songcraft of Tin Pan Alley pop. The main concern for any singer/songwriter was the song itself, not necessarily the performance. However, most singer/songwriter records have a similar sound, which is usually spare, direct, and reflective, which places the emphasis on the song itself."

I would say that the british invasion isn't really a genre or style

I would say that the British invasion is another genre in itself. The early Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five, The Searchers, and others had a distinct sound that separated them from the sound being produced here in the states. When I was a kid and we had AM radio turned up, when we heard a song for the first time we knew it was either American or British. I would definitely consider it a rock genre.

How about Goth, reggae, Metal Rap, Bluegrass, Fusion, big band and swing, whatever genre you can call the polyphonic spree or whatever they call themselves - and speaking of ungenred music how would you classify Blue Man Group, is Lilith fair a genre? :stars: What do you call artists like Sinatra or Harry Connick Jr.? Can Frank Zappa be classified?