underrated songs by well respected bands

Batman

I mean that the band Brinsley Schwartz was named after its founding member, but there was someone else in the band (Nick Lowe) who turned out to be the star.

I can think of another band where the star was not the guy the band was named after. What band am I thinking of?

And it's not John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.... although that would be a fair answer.

L,

L.

Edited by Guest

The Dave Clark Five?

edit: Never mind, Dave Clark wrote some songs.

That's pretty good. Dave wasn't the singer, but he did act like the star. I wonder how many bands there are that are named after someone other than the singer... (Jeff Beck Group, etc).

J. Geils Band? Manfred Mann? :P

Wow! There must be millions of examples. YOu guys are good!

ANyway, you still haven't read my mind. I'm thinking of a true superstar fronting a band that was named after another member...

L.

Edited by Guest

Alan Parsons Project? Van Halen?

You mean that guy from Pilot was the star of APP? That's a bit of a stretch. And you reckon David Lee Roth was the real star of Van Halen? Could be ;-)

Now nobody's mentioned the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, but that's probably going back too far...

LB

The Kinks may be the most underrated band in history... what do you think? Pretty much everything from VGPS onwards (apart from a fluke hit with Lola) was completely ignored. Some of the greatest music to ever come out of England.

LB

I didn't know that they were so underrated everywhere; definitely in America, but not lots of other places. Lola's good, but there are a lot of much better songs. The Velvet Underground is pretty underrated too.