Manic Street Preachers Fan Thread

The Gutless Wonder

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Wasn't sure where the best place to post this was! Yeah, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next is my fave Manics song as it's the one with which I discovered them, thus my username, The Gutless Wonder after the lyric in that song! Look forward to much musical chat on this forum!

I used to be obsessed with the Manics, particularly with The Holy Bible. I never listen to it anymore but still appreciate that it is a great album.

Maybe one of these days you might feel like dusting it off again! :) Know it takes a certain mood to listen to it.The Manics do seem to have inspired and continue to inspire this obsessiveness!

I've never felt the obsession with Richey myself though I know alot of fans have. Obviously I respect him loads for his importance within the band and the fact that he was their friend. I'm obsessed with James Dean Bradfield, I think he's an amazing singer/guitarist and just a thoroughly nice bloke. Sean and Nicky are great too of course. All four of them have made the Manics what they are and that's why I'm looking forward to the new album so much because it will be like a tribute to Richey.

Noooooooooooooooooo! You didn't? When did you hear about them becoming big? 1996? I hope you didn't kick yourself too much. I'd never heard of them before 1998 (not properly anyway!).

Well my band split in 1993, but it was long before that, in any case. The Manics hadn't yet put out their debut album, (whenever that was), otherwise I would have heard of them. :tongue:

Assuming we were promoting one of our own albums at the time- which would account for our desperation to support the UK Subs- I'd hazard a guess at 1990.

I hate to sound the music snob, but to be honest, it was around the time of "If You Tolerate This..." that I went right off'em. They'd had what - four??- albums already by then. I had quite liked some of their stuff up to that point. :P

After "Everything Must Go ", the Manics pretty much lost me.

Tolerate was the song that got me into them! But I remember a colleague at work saying he was disappointed with Truth after EMG and everything. I guess it's just different tastes. Alot of people preferred the harder sound of the earlier stuff. I appreciate all their eras! Oh well, you can at least say you had the chance to support them even though it didn't happen in the end. Do you still play any musical instruments yourself? I expect you probably do!