Blind-Fitter's Top Ten

Levis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to show my appreciation to everyone who took part.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

I realise that for most of you, the majority of these tracks/artists may have been unfamiliar territory, so I understand that you may have had to go the extra mile (in terms of time and patience) and, perhaps, to step outside of your comfort zones to give my nominations a listen. Even though I haven't commented much, I have been genuinely interested in your choices, not to mention impressed and pleasantly surprised on occasions. You're all cool as. :cool:

Now carry on with your comments, 'cos I'm enjoying that bit too. :wink:

I think my PTT described me pretty well too (even if nearly everyone knew the songs anyway), after all, I picked the songs myself :P

That's the way I feel about it as well. The songs I chose were well known yes but, They have very special meaning for me. That's why they were included in my PTT :D

And BF, your list was very unknown to me. I think I knew a couple of the artists but none of the songs. It was fun. I like some of the lists that expose me to new music. At least music I have never heard. But I also really enjoyed a lot of the other PTTs with music I did know.

I really liked "Making Plans For Nigel", it was my favorite.

Exciting, energetic music, B-F. Hope you like the TT we Sfers picked out.

But one concern by some of the after comments ... is there some indications that other PTT lists were somehow not as "true?"

I'm sure no aspersion upon any individual's integrity was intended. Far be it for me to speak on Levis behalf - she's perfectly capable of doing it for herself- but I'm sure she just meant that this 10 effectively evokes my individuality whilst simultaneously orientating me in place and time.

For my money, this Ten is a tad lightweight / "new wave" and does scant justice to my hardcore punk rock credentials. :wink:

B-F, I really liked your list altho' I hadn't heard of most of them. That is what it is all about. Everyone choosing what "they" like to listen to. It certainly does show each persons individuality doesn't it. For myself, I like all music other than opera or rap so you put up a really good list and I was glad to listen to all of it.

I'm sure no aspersion upon any individual's integrity was intended. Far be it for me to speak on Levis behalf - she's perfectly capable of doing it for herself- but I'm sure she just meant that this 10 effectively evokes my individuality whilst simultaneously orientating me in place and time.

For my money, this Ten is a tad lightweight / "new wave" and does scant justice to my hardcore punk rock credentials. :wink:

Yeah, I got to thinking about it and - also not wanting to second guess Radhi's or Edna's meaning of "true" - perhaps a closer term would be consistent. In most of the other PTTs there seemed a wider range, as it were, of eclecticity. In listening to your PTT (and I did listen to every one of them, as I have for all) I noted a theme or consistency that, while there was variety and variance, was more subtle than previous PTT lists.

Simply my observation, no good/bad right/wrong to it. Again, this entire process is cool and helps us - hopefully - get to know one another better.

:thumbsup:

b-f, I'm guessing this is a great ten ... hard for me to judge, since most of the songs were new to me. I hope, even if it's lightweight, that you are pleased with the outcome. You've got to remember, there were folks like me voting! ;)

I'll tell you what tickled me. As I said, I knew virtually none (actually 2) prior to this. I listened to all the songs, and then made my selections, without looking at anyone else's. I was worried to death that my picks would be totally off the mark. I then looked back at other's votes, and was pleased to see that my taste in your music wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. :D Proof that a good song is a good song, no matter the genre, or whether or not it's new to you. ;)

Exciting, energetic music, B-F. Hope you like the TT we Sfers picked out.

But one concern by some of the after comments ... is there some indications that other PTT lists were somehow not as "true?"

as for the 'true' comments, yes, I have to agree, and I don't even know you, but for BF it seemed a very identifiable set. :rockon: But, then again, so have all the other personal TTs I've enjoyed here have seemed to their 'true' selfs from what little I know of them :shades: Except for those couple more melodic things that kind of snuck in there. Is that a softer side? :blah: Or were you just throwing meat to the masses? :couch:

:rockon: tip of the studded leather dog collar to you on that hard core stand :rockon:

(r whtevr te kiz r sain dees daz)

..... :goof: ......

... just wondering though, if some of these are 'lightweight' IYO, why would you even nom tunes to yer list that you didn't really want on your TT then?

-- :/ ------ :/ ------- :/ -------- :/ --------- :/ ------ :/ ------- :/

maybe all music lasts longer than a lifestyle, or maybe that's just some.

Yeah, I got to thinking about it and - also not wanting to second guess Radhi's or Edna's meaning of "true" - perhaps a closer term would be consistent. In most of the other PTTs there seemed a wider range, as it were, of eclecticity. In listening to your PTT (and I did listen to every one of them, as I have for all) I noted a theme or consistency that, while there was variety and variance, was more subtle than previous PTT lists.

So, what you're saying is: this Ten is consistent with the SFer, by virtue of its predictable narrow-mindedness? :confused:

;)

Nor does the Ten convey the side of me that reduces to jelly in the presence of sublime beauty. (e.g. "Song To The Siren", "Satellite Life", "Revelator", etc.)

You're quite right, J Hill. Why on earth would I nominate songs I don't like?

That quote (above) was delivered with a hint of irony. More often than not I pass some grumbly comment on something unsatisfactory about the week's Top Ten. Thought I would just be my usual pernickety self. :)

Well, maybe mine wasn´t "that" true then, somehow... I have songs in Spanish, in French, in Russian, in Portugese, in Romanian even... :cool: that are among my favorite. But I know I can´t list a 50% of foreign music in an English speaking Forum. Obviously, the ones I listed are the ones I love.

.../... For my money, this Ten is a tad lightweight / "new wave" and does scant justice to my hardcore punk rock credentials. :wink:

I must say that I expected a punkier side of you, BF...

Well, Edna; my original fifty included up to twenty tracks that I would consider "punk", "post-punk" or "alt-rock with a strong punk influence". There could have been more, I grant you: Lord knows how I failed to find room for Crass, Angelic Upstarts, Ruts, Alice Donut...(lack of youtubeage for my favourite tracks, in some cases). I tried to find a balance, and I must admit that I was concerned that if my list was overloaded with "heavy end" punk rock, it might just become an ordeal for people, and put them off altogether. Heck: I could do a Top 50 of punk rock songs, if called upon to do so: one day maybe I will. ;) And every one would be a song that I love.

Anyway, I ended up with a list I was pretty happy with, and they're all songs I care for alot, for one reason and another. The outcome is not the Top Ten I would have chosen- that would have included "Teenage Time Killer", which (unless I'm mistaken)not a single person voted for, "Song To The Siren", "I Found That Essence Rare", whatever - but that's not really the point, is it?

They're all groovy songs, and I'm thrilled that so many people took the time to listen to my stuff and found that they enjoyed it.

Interesting though, that even in blind-fitter's Top Ten, the #1 should be the song which is (arguably) the most reminiscent of The Beatles. :)

So, what you're saying is: this Ten is consistent with the SFer, by virtue of its predictable narrow-mindedness? :confused:

;)

No, Sir. I am saying there ain't no country, there ain't no oldies, there ain't no R&B, there ain't no waltzes nor rumbas. And as I said in the part of my quote you left out above, I was just taking note of a seeming "theme" to your ten and that is not bad nor wrong ... it is just you. And I can dig that. ;)

That's all my friend.

And I do want to be your friend. I really do.

The Totally True Liszt

The Unguarded Moment - The Church 91

Teenage Riot - Sonic Youth 79

Making Plans For Nigel - XTC 72

Freak Scene - Dinosaur Jr. 68

I Like Birds - Eels 58

Going Underground - The Jam 51

My Girl - Madness 49

Police And Thieves - Junior Murvin 49

Last Night In Soho - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick And Titch 49

Lenny Valentino - The Auteurs 48

Reel Around The Fountain - The Smiths 45