Election 2008 - today we make history!

Mike

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was a very good article, Farin. And my rant was in no way aimed at you or anybody in particular. It was just a general observation. As is reflected in the voting statistics, racism is still alive and well in this country (as well as most every other country, in some form or another).

(As seen on Good Morning America this morning).

Votes for Obama:

White 60%

Black 30%

Hispanic 10%

(which is an approximate reflection of the population as a whole)

Votes for McCain:

White 90%

Black 1%

Hispanic 9%

That's why I said that if Obama fails, there will be a major backlash. The man does have b*lls. Let's hope he uses them the right way.

Thank you for your time. That is all.

MiamiSammy in 2012!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :soapbox:

Bush congratulates Obama on election victory

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush embraced Barack Obama's election victory Wednesday, saying he understands the message of change that was the centerpiece of his campaign.

Bush promised Obama his "complete cooperation" during the Democrat's 76-day transition to the White House. The president said he would keep Obama informed on all his decisions between now and Jan. 20, and said he looked forward to the day - soon, he hopes - that Obama and his family would take him up on his offer of a pre-inauguration White House visit.

But perhaps most striking about the Republican president's brief Rose Garden remarks was the stream of compliments he paid to Obama and the multiple nods to the history-making nature of his ascension.

Bush called Obama's win an "impressive victory" and said it represented strides "toward a more perfect Union." He said the choice of Obama was "a triumph of the American story, a testament to hard work, optimism and faith in the enduring promise of our nation."

The defeated leader of his own party, John McCain, won accolades as well, but not nearly so glowing.

"The American people will always be grateful for the lifetime of service John McCain has devoted to this nation, and I know he'll continue to make tremendous contributions to our country," Bush said.

To a country with monumental civil rights battles in its past, Bush said: "All Americans can be proud of the history that was made yesterday."

He recalled the millions of blacks who turned out to vote for one of their own, saying he realizes many never fully believed they would live to see this day. But he also hinted that he has personal feelings of high emotion at this moment, representing the end of a controversial eight years in the Oval Office during which he tried, but failed, to attract more blacks to his party.

"It will be a stirring sight to see President Obama, his wife, Michelle, and their beautiful girls step through the doors of the White House," the president said. "I know millions of Americans will be overcome with pride at this inspiring moment that so many have waited so long."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

This brings a lump to my throat. Whatever you think of this man, this President, I don't give a rats @ss, I've always respected him, honored him as my commander in chief. Yes he's made many mistakes, yes he is very unpopular. But this speech is what "coming together" is all about. I'd like to see more of this. I sure would!!

Yes, it was a very good article, Farin. And my rant was in no way aimed at you or anybody in particular. It was just a general observation.

I never thought it was :thumbsup:

and you do have a point: if he would fail then the disillusion everywhere would be very big, but on the other hand, he would have to fail completely for that to happen (maybe comparable to Bush junior) and in the moment I can't see that happening

of course these high expectations don't make it easier for him either... :P

but nevertheless, imho Obama was and is the best choice by far :)

Times have certainly changed from when Irving Wallace wrote, "The Man" in 1964, about the first black man to become president. I read that novel in 1970 and its salient points are still valid today. Obama possibly will be seen as an Uncle Tom by those of color, cowtowing to whites when his concerns linger on the majority of Americans, and viewed as a racial activist when his programs seem aimed at minorities.

It will be a balancing act that Solomon would not relish. We should all offer our support for the tasks ahead of this man.

I also want to say that John McCain showed more class in defeat than either Al Gore or John Kerry, when those two were defeated by George Bush. Imagine the devisive implications had the Republican party tried to declare fraud over some part of this election, as the DNC did in the previous two elections.

I also want to say that John McCain showed more class in defeat than either Al Gore or John Kerry, when those two were defeated by George Bush. Imagine the devisive implications had the Republican party tried to declare fraud over some part of this election, as the DNC did in the previous two elections.

Yes, that's right. McCain was extremely gracious. I think more of that fact than anything that Bush had to say today. Bush's speech was nice, but hey, he's speaking for the history books ... what else is he going to say??

I kept thinking last night of the individuals that were involved in the Cival Rights marches & demonstrations of the 50's & 60's. How do you suppose it feels to see that finally, after all these years, MLK's dream is that much closer to becoming true. It was a long time coming, but d*mn, they have to feel good today.

Yes, it was a very good article, Farin. And my rant was in no way aimed at you or anybody in particular. It was just a general observation. As is reflected in the voting statistics, racism is still alive and well in this country (as well as most every other country, in some form or another).

(As seen on Good Morning America this morning).

Votes for Obama:

White 60%

Black 30%

Hispanic 10%

(which is an approximate reflection of the population as a whole)

Votes for McCain:

White 90%

Black 1%

Hispanic 9%

That's why I said that if Obama fails, there will be a major backlash. The man does have b*lls. Let's hope he uses them the right way.

Thank you for your time. That is all.

MiamiSammy in 2012!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :soapbox:

I understand completly what you're saying Ken. It's kinda'scary looking at the great divide between blue and red ( North & South) on the map. And the popular vote wasn't nearly as lopsided as the E.College.

But failure is relative. No President is 100% successful, and sometimes getting nothing done is maybe better than doing the wrong thing (i.e. recent history). A President Obama's biggest challenge may be in tempering the grandiose aspirations and proposals from his own party. And, always, there's that un-spoken undercurrent of irrational (but maybe natural) resent/revenge from the far corners.

_____________( :help: )_____________

Not taking anything away from John McCain, who has shown himself as classy throughout this campaign, there is a big difference in that this year's election was considered a landslide as opposed to 2004, which some networks originally called for Kerry, and 2000, which was not finally decided until a month after Election Day.

Historically, there were 12 US presidential elections decided by a margin of less than 1%, which by law allows for a demanded recount. Kerry was the first candidate (probably urged by the DNC as a political manuever) to not only ask for a recount, but to sue for an alternate decision in the U.S. Supreme Court. All to no avail, except to further the political and domestic polarization of America and defame internationally the office of its president.

Nixon lost to Kennedy, in 1960, by a closer margin of the electorial vote and despite his own wildly desperate ambition to be president, was gracious in concession the morning after the election.

And I was not berating a party or a person in my original observation, just saying this outgoing administration and this defeated candidate did the right thing for America after this election.

I heartily disagree. I guess one can choose to hate Bush, or see in him what they want. As with anyone I suppose, I see a man who loves America. Who stopped a murderous dictator, Attempted to free a country from internal aggression and oppression. Agree or disagree with this. I don't see the devil in him that so many do.

I disagree right back atcha. I don't hate Bush at all. I do believe that he loves this Country, and I feel that he is at heart a very good man, that got caught up in a nasty situation, and made some poor decisions. But don't be fooled. These politicians are very much aware when their words are "quotable" and you can bet this speech will be one that is quoted verbatim in the history books. It's naive to think that politicians' words aren't chosen with the thought of who will be reading them and what they will sound like 25 years later. Of course he's going to say the right things.

Well, under this same assumption, which I'll consider possible, then everything Barack said can be considered meaningless, colorful political rhetoric as well. With a primary function of shifting power to the liberal political body from the conservative political body.

Absolutely. You know that Obama is very well aware that every word he utters and every move he makes is under the microscope, even more so than they would normally be. As Bush was with that speech. I don't necessarily call it meaningless rhetoric, just very well chosen. Maybe I'm jaded, but I think it's more a matter of having learned to take it all with a grain of salt.

Oh, I agree to most of that. Carefully selected. Sure, but sincerity is a difficult thing to assess.

In addition, I believe, the president is more of a puppet to the party they belong to. My reasoning for this is there are only to reasonable paths to the Whitehouse, and which ever gets you there, owns you.

McCain's concession speech was classy, though his campaign certainly wasn't.

Bush's congratulatory speech was classy and precisely what was called for by the occasion.

I don't see bush as an ogre. That would be Cheyney. But one must admit that Bush often comes off as somewhat less than intellectual.

McCain's concession speech was classy, though his campaign certainly wasn't.

Well put. I agree.

Bush's congratulatory speech was classy and precisely what was called for by the occasion.

Ok.

I don't see bush as an ogre. That would be Cheyney.

Again, I agree.

But one must admit that Bush often comes off as somewhat less than intellectual.

Sure.

I'll bet in the first 150 years of Presidents this happened more times than not, but was not recorded by the press nearly,as much due to lack of interest/media.

I think Bush is an pretty good guy, he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed. Perhaps even one of the dullest. If he was smarter, or if he just didn't surround himself with people like Rumsfeld and Cheney who could take advantage of him, I think he would have been an alright president.