Election 2008 - today we make history!

Mike

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno if ABC news are being weird or if I'm just not getting this, but they just coloured SC red and predicted McCain as the winner even though Obama's leading by 15 points so far...

I can say this, since I live in South Carolina. There was never any doubt who would win here. :) I am slightly proud that it was as close as it was.

"Our country offers the most wonderful example of democratic government on a giant scale that the world has ever seen; and the peoples of the world are watching to see whether we succeed or fail".

Theodore Roosevelt

- Saratoga, New York

September 27, 1910

I spent the last few days doing some serious volunteering for the Obama campaign. We may not take Indiana, but South Bend, my area, is blue. I feel like I've done my part, and it's worked, now it's up to the rest of America.

seems like you did :bow:

I'll just claim that I know the person that got the couple hundred crucial votes :grin:

:bow:

I didn't stay up to hear the victory speech last night, but I read the transcript the morning and am still drying the tears from my eyes. I didn't think this would affect me so much, but it does.

This country was taking a wrong turn, and I don't just mean the economy. After 9/11, President Bush used our feelings of vulnerability and fear to further his and Cheney's personal agenda and fulfill a personal vendetta. Americans were starting to see a terrorist behind every door. That is not the country I want for my daughter, and I hope that in her lifetime, a president or vice president of color (or a female one) becomes commonplace.

I don't share my political views often, but I feel I had to today

I have never been so excited about a political candidate in my life. There is just something about Obama that makes you feel like there is some hope left after all.

It's kinda scary to be able to put your trust in a candidate again and not feel like you've made a terrible mistake.

He has a hard road ahead of him but I think he's up for the job :thumbsup:

For real change to come, we need more than a new President in office, everyone must come together.

We need to be a nation that does not only come together in the aftermath of tragedy like 9/11, I remember being choked up to see Bush and Daschle embracing one another after an address following the terrorist attacks. We need to have this same "embrace" amongst our Nations leaders all the time.

and perhaps Obama is the man to make that happen.

I haven't read the acceptance speech transcript, nor did I stay awake to listen to them. I stayed up long enough last night to hear who won, and then I went to sleep feeling, for the first time in many years, a comfort in knowing our country's future is finally in the right hands.

Nah, it means nothing to me....not yet anyway. Bush, single-handedly, has dragged this country down so much that the U.S. has become the laughing stock of the world (well, except for Canada, or course). When I see some improvement in the economy, the education system, military and foreign policy, gas prices, etc., THEN it'll mean something to me.

Sure, it's historical, but big deal! If he fails, he should get run out on his a$$, just like all the other one-termers....just like Bush should have been.

Americans no longer vote for experience and potential....they vote for personality. And if any of you out there were running against John McCain, you, too, would be the President-elect this morning.

I hate to be the one to say this, because I'm all for the guy....but if Obama fails miserably, it could actually tear this country apart more than ever....you know, bring us back to the 1950's. Think about it.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :soapbox: