bands with long careers who have a good last album

Batman

Most bands who have a long run tend to have a really great early/middle period, and then fade out into mediocrity. One prime example would be Led Zeppelin, who started out by making what is considered the cream of the crop as far as rock n roll is concerned, and ended with "In Through The Out Door," which even if you're a Zep fan, you gotta admit is pretty sub-par by any standard. So I'm wondering...what do you guys think are the bands and artists who broke this mold and ended on a high note? I was thinking Nick Drake would be a good example, who's last album was Pink Moon (one of the best albums of all time in my opinion), but then I realized he doesn't really count since he was only around for 3 years anyways. Can anyone think of a good example?

Edited by Guest

Oh good call.

I wonder if musicians who die during the height of their career should count though? I think what would be really interesting is if someone could think of a band who was really great and realized they were about to go downhill, so they just stopped?

Elliott Smith might still count then

....He did kinda stop.

Pavement.

a 9 year career that ended with Terror Twilight, which had some excellent tunes

then the band broke up.

The Beatles

Let it Be was the final release, and it was sub-par (not bad, but not beatles good)

but Abbey Road was the last thing they recorded, now I personally don't listen to Abbey Road all too much, but it definitely has some great songs on it, and a lot of people love it a lot.

Also, I am known to be very biased towards these two bands, but I think Cold Chisel and Powderfinger deserve a mention here. Cold Chisel were together for about 32 years (their last performance was in 2005), and I don't believe any of their albums were mediocre. Powderfinger formed in 1989, released a very mediocre debut album, but have been consistently great ever since. Part of these bands success owes to the fact that since the releases of their debut albums, their lineups have remained unchanged.

Though I guess these two bands could still reform and finish off with mediocre albums... :crazy:

Edited by Guest

Oh this is easy!

• The Police ended with Synchronicity, a superb album, almost certainly their best.
  • The Smiths ended with Strangeways Here We Come, considered by some (including Johnny Marr) to be their best.
  • The Pixies' Trompe Le Monde was not the hardcore fans' fave, but a great album and a great place to start if you're a bit timid.
  • Pulp... We Love Life... fantastic.
  • Roxy Music's Avalon
  • Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water!!

Hmm, I think I need to go and listen to some of those right now...

LBB

But Roxy Music, Japan, Simon&Garfunkel, Smiths or Police didn´t last long... in that case, I would say that The Beatles dropped the curtain with an amazing "Abbey Road"... :cool:

(as it´s already been posted twice in this same hread)

Maybe we shoud think of bands that were some 20 years or more on the road...? :shades:

aerosmith has been around since forever - and they've sucked for all of that time. I don't think the band's timespan is as important as the quality of their opus :beatnik: Japan was only around for 5 years and they managed to dwarf 30 years of Duran Duran.

Ah. I see the title is "long careers." Hahah. How long is a long career?

Edited by Guest
Didn't read the title of the thread.