The most popular Australian bands?

Carl

Person-in-Australia will have to do till Australians show up.

Apart from what's already been mentioned:

The Vines, Eskimo Joe, Bodyrockers (this song is on the radio allll the time), Architecture in Helsinki, You Am I (that I am yet to hear).

Hunters and Collectors are a band I'd never heard of till I got here - they're sort of an institution. And don't forget Midnight Oil - their head honcho - Peter Garrett - is now a (really cool) politician

My favourite Australian band is still the Church - though I don't hear much about them in Australia either :(

There was a list of 50 best Australian albums that was compiled a few weeks ago by The Age. The people who discussed the final list all seemed to agree with the verdict.

Top 10 (of top 50) Australian Albums

1 10-1 - Midnight Oil (1981)

2 Radios Appear - Radio Birdman (1977)

3 Living in the 70s - Skyhooks (1974)

4 Hi Fi Way - You Am I (1995)

5 Stoneage Romeos - Hoodoo Gurus (1984)

6 Gossip - Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls (1986)

7 (I'm) Stranded - the Saints (1977)

8 Kick - INXS (1987)

9 Diesel and Dust - Midnight Oil (1987)

10 Back in Black - AC/DC (1980)

... rest of the list article here

I'd give my top spots in terms of popularity to Midnight Oil, Hunters and Collectors, and You Am I (who I still haven't heard). That's how it appears in my corner, anyway.

I'd say AC/DC and Cold Chisel are in very close competition for the most popular Australian band (not counting overseas success). After them comes INXS, Midnight Oil, Powderfinger, The Easybeats, Skyhooks, Silverchair, Crowded House, Jet, Wolfmother, The Angels, Hunters And Collectors, Men At Work, Screaming Jets, Australian Crawl, Hoodoo Gurus, Grinspoon, The Living End, The Saints, Daddy Cool, Mondo Rock, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Masters Apprentices, Spiderbait... (in approximate order of popularity, though I'm sure I've forgotten some).

Edited by Guest

:jack: Worldwide? Popular, as in 'well known'? Then yes (and stop frowning, it's a happy thing) maybe The Wiggles right now. They recently toured through here! Anyone who has had young children around the last five years or so, is probably way too familiar with their music! =:P All time, for sure AC/DC and BeeGees. Who did that song "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Jack"? :P

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Tie Me Kangaroo Down was by Rolf Harris

Thanks Cyber, Rolf! Right, now I remember :cool:

A fun song with some interesting and very 'Down Under' lyrics :shades:

There's been a lot of great songs from Australia over the years, one of my all-time faves is

"Blue Sky Mine" x Midnight Oil :guitar:

"The candy store paupers lie to the share holders

They're crossing their fingers they pay the truth makers

The balance sheet is breaking up the sky

So I'm caught at the junction still waiting for medicine

The sweat of my brow keeps on feeding the engine

Hope the crumbs in my pocket can keep me for another night

And if the blue sky mining company won't come to my rescue

If the sugar refining company won't save me

Who's gonna save me?

But if I work all day..."

------:drummer:------:drummer:---------