2009 in music

Batman

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Only five days to go before Green Day unleashes 21st Century Breakdown to the masses. But you don’t have to wait any longer. Rhapsody is streaming the new album in its entirety on its Web site. You can also read a great review of it in the current issue of Rolling Stone, or on their Web site at RollingStone.com.

East coast fans will finally get the chance to see their heroes perform when the band takes the stage for a not-so-secret-anymore gig at New York City’s Webster Hall on May 19.

Green Day fans can win tickets to the New York show by responding to a series of blogs and bulletins on Myspace.com/thelist, while those that can’t make it can see the show via a MySpace Music broadcast. A select number of tickets will also be available for purchase beginning May 9.

In the meantime, enjoy the exclusive listen to 21st Century Breakdown.

Radiohead hit the Studio! :)

Radiohead's Colin Greenwood has told Nme.com the Oxford band have begun recording their new album with producer Nigel Godrich.

The bassist revealed that the band went into the studio to start work on the follow-up to 2007's "In Rainbows" last week (beginning May 11)

"We've just started work [in the studio] last week," he said. "It's really cool and everything is sounding great. It's early days and it is a bit like having a scrapbook at the moment because everything is up in the air, but it's good to be back in the studio."

He was quick to praise Godrich, who has produced every Radiohead album since 1997's "OK Computer".

"He's brilliant," Greenwood gushed. "He can make everything sound like it's working together rather than us trying to kill each other."

Greenwood was speaking at Brighton's Great Escape festival, which took place over the weekend (May 13-16).

all the albums I've fully listened to this year and what I think of them:

animal collective - merriweather post pavillion: A+, animal collective is the best rock band since...well, the birth of rock

dan deacon - bromst: A, dan is the man. this album is just as wild as his last one, but a little cleaner, and a little more mature. well done dan!

cymbals eat guitars - why there are mountains: A-, a very stereotypical indie rock album, but it's been a long time since i've listened to a very stereotypical indie rock album, so this one was nice. "and the hazy sea" is pretty much everything you could want in an indie rock song, it's my favorite song of the year.

doom - born like this: B+, MF DOOM is my favorite rapper ever, but this is maybe his worst official album. still pretty good though.

passion pit - manners: B+/A-, this was one of my most anticipated albums of the year, and it didn't quite live up to the expectations of the chunk of change EP. forget what i said about "and the hazy sea," "sleepyhead" is my favorite song of the year.

prefuse 73 - everything she touched turned amphphphepahpehaph: B. can't remember the last word in the album title. prefuse 73 is pretty consistently good.

japandroids - post nothing: B-. it's good but a lot of this lo-fi pop punk stuff sounds pretty similar to me.

wavves - wavves: C-. a few of these songs are great, but most of them are just annoying.

the thermals - now we can see: C. this was my most anticipated of 2009 and it didn't deliver at all. it was just as catchy as anything else the thermals has ever done but it had NONE of the energy. every song blends together.

so yeah, i haven't really checked out a lot of stuff this year besides the stuff i was really looking forward to and a few albums that were pretty heavily hyped by pitchfork so they were kinda hard to avoid (wavves, japandroids, etc.)

Albums I have that were released this year:

The Hazards of Love - The Decemberists

Troubadour - K'naan

Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Living Thing - Peter Bjorn and John

Hold Time - M. Ward

Fork In The Road - Neil Young

Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

Fortress Round My Heart - Ida Maria

Crack The Skye - Mastodon

Funk Man - Del The Funky Homosapien

It's Blitz - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The only weak one of the bunch was Funk Man, but I got it for free so whatever, and it's still decent. The rest are all worth getting.

He offered it for free online for a few days, but now I think you have to buy it. It's a decent rap album, it's just not as creative as earlier efforts I think. The beats don't really grab you and the lyrics rely too much on standard misogynist rap cliches. That being said, it's still far better than any rap you're going to hear on the radio.

The Decemberists album is my favorite of the year so far. I've always loved the Decemberists, and they outdid themselves this time with a ridiculously sprawling prog-rock concept album about revenge and murder and love and stuff. Actually, the "plot" is impossible to follow, but the music is incredible so who cares. I think Colin Meloy listened to a lot of King Crimson and Yes before writing it. I guess the only issue is, like a lot of progressive albums, there's no single standout songs. The album has to be listened to as a whole.

A new band featuring members of Queens Of The Stone Age and Mark Lanegan's band have formed and are set to release their debut EP in July.

Named after a David Bowie B-side, Sweethead features Troy Van Leeuwen (Queens Of The Stone Age) on guitar, Norm Block (Mark Lanegan's band member) on drums, Eddie Nappi (Lanegan) on bass and vocalist Serrina Sims.

The band's debut EP "The Great Disruptors" is released on July 13. It includes a cover of The Kinks' "Tired Of Waiting For You", which fans can also download for free from Sweethead.net.

Sweethead play a UK gig on June 3 at London's Water Rats.

The tracklisting for "The Great Disruptors" is:

01. The Great Disruptors

02. Hardspun

03. Arcane Arcade

04. Traumatized And Dumb

05. Tired of Waiting For You