Band Names

Levis

Some bands have really unusual names. So how's about putting up some of your favourites? And if you have a story that goes with the name, all the better.

Eg. I just finished listening to a song by Kitchens of Distinction. Also, a neo-shoegaze band I've heard off and on is called Asobi Seksu - Asobi means 'fun' and Seksu means 'sex' in Japanese so the name translates to 'playful sex' in Japanese slang. They formed in New York and their vocalist is Japanese or of Japanese descent, so that's how they're so well-versed with these colloquialisms.

Your turn :)

My Bloody Valentine got their name from a Z-grade Canadian slasher film. However, owing to the rising (ugh) popularity of bands with the names My Chemical Romance and Bullet for my Valentine they are often incorrectly regarded (by stupid people) as... emo :P

pretty much everything with a Heavy Metal Umlaut sounds hilarious to me :grin:

eg Leftöver Crack sounds like a really deep saxonian accent :laughing: :laughing:

the fact that they're doing this to make their names seem more badass makes it even funnier :grin:

I actually have two of their cds that a friend of mine gave to me, I didn't think anyone hear would've heard of them.

Queensrÿche, Hüsker Dü, Mötley Crüe, and Motörhead are also examples of the Heavy Metal Umlaut rule.

There is a thread HERE of "Most Ridiculous Band Names", which becomes reasonably entertaining (eventually).

My debut contribution to that old thread was this:

The following are all genuine bands from the UK punk/indie scene of the 80s/ early 90s and whose records feature in my own collection:

Foreheads In A Fishtank

Stitched-Back Foot Airman

Archbishop Kebab

The Dog-Faced Hermans

Inspiral Carpets

Terminal Cheesecake

Pregnant Neck

Kitchens of Distinction

Flux of Pink Indians

Rudimentary Peni

Hagar The Womb

Jackdaw With Crowbar

These are unusual names, without necesssarily being among my favourites.

One of my favourite bands- a bunch of wigged-out, pscho-delic punkers from New Jersey- came upon their name when they had to think of something at short notice for their first show and (probably under the influence of drugs) came up with the somewhat unwieldy "Alice Donut Liver Henry Moore" (which is a pun, of sorts). They subsequently abbreviated this to the cute and catchy Alice Donut

• 4 months later...

Ostzonensuppenwürfelmachenkrebs

The Name of the band, meaning “‘Eastern Zone’ (=East Germany, GDR) soup cubes cause cancer†was a headline of one of many Anti-GDR “articles†in the often criticised German tabloid “Bildâ€.

Link

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst browsing in Jumbo Records (my favourite ever record shop) today, I spotted an album by the gloriously-named Kiss the Anus Of A Black Cat, whose name comes from a medieval witchcraft ritual, apparently. I'mchecking them out right now on their Last.FM page., and quite enjoying it, actually. Even though they're from Belgium.

'kin 'ell. I was just listening to one of their songs and thinking "this sounds like a Rudimentary Peni tune, What a rip-off". And, on further checking, it is actually a doom-folk cover version of the very same Rudimentary Peni tune, "Beyond The Tanarian Hills", from their HP Lovecraft-inspired concept album "Cacophany".

I'd never even heard of Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat until today. Most often,I wouldn't bother to investigate a band purely on the strength of an eye-catching name. Tonight I did, and find they have covered a tune by my most favouritest but relatively obscure Lovecraftian death-core band. Tell me: what are the chances of that happening? ('cuz my mind is blown). I so very nearly turned them off after the 2nd and 3rd tracks, too, in which case I would never have heard their Peni cover.

Edited by Guest
Add last bit, incredulously.

• 4 weeks later...

Half Man Half Biscuit are semi-legendary at home (here in the UK), but I fear their humourous lyrics are too reliant on British cultural references to really make sense to anyone else. Their music alone probably isn't quite enough to sustain interest for any length of time. Personally, I like'em, but then, I'm partial to surreal Anglocentric humour atop badly-produced and amateurish indie/punk rock.

Don't let me talk you out of it; go ahead and see what you make of'em. :)