Motive and Opportunity

bazooka

[smaller]A friend with too much time on his hands sent me this:[/smaller]

Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it reads:

A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother, met a guy whom she did not know. She thought this guy was amazing. She believed him to be her dream guy, her soul mate, her forever love. It truly was love at first sight. However, she never asked for his number and then could not find him.

A few days later she killed her sister.

Question: What is her motive for killing her sister?

[[smaller]Give this some thought before you answer[/smaller]]

------------

[smaller]Answer[/smaller]: She was hoping the guy would appear at her sister's funeral.

If you answered this correctly, you think like a psychopath. This was a test by a famous American psychologist used to test if one has the same mentality as a killer. Many arrested serial killers took part in the test and answered the question correctly.

If you didn't answer the question correctly, good for you.

If you got the answer correct, please let me know so I can take you off my email list.

This is not the first time I've seen this question, but I got it right the first time. I think it's more logic than some sort of 'killer mentality'. You could replace the funeral and the killing with lots of other things and get the same results... I don't think I'm very likely to kill someone.

I'm not making any guarantees yet, of course. :shades:

I answered correct, it's called empathy.

I don't think "empathy" is the word I would choose.

Maybe more "analysis" or "critical thinking" along the lines The Seeker seems to be talking about.

I think it's more logic than some sort of 'killer mentality'.

The reason the average person has difficulty with this is that the woman acts so insanely selfishly outside of what is permissible behavior, indeed without any societal or familial "empathy" whatsoever.

If you work this out as a "brainteaser", that's all well and good.

If the "right" answer comes natural to you, that would be frightening to me.