Blue Moon

windy1

If you haven't heard, tonight we will see that rarest of sightings- The Blue Moon. This happens when the lunar calendar and our calendar(I've forgotten the correct name)don't match up. So now all those things that we say we'll only do "once in a Blue Moon" we have to do tonight! Better get busy! :coolio:

I don't think it's superstition. The moon is responsible for tides. Also, it's best to plant crops during a full moon. This sounds crazy but it is fact. I can't scientifically explain it well but the Earth's gravity and moon's gravity somehow work together to create a lot of activity that we really aren't aware of. So, it seems logical to assume that a full moon compared to a new moon would have some type of physical differences here on Earth. The moon, as well as the position of the sun and earth, cause changes depending where each heavenly body is during the course of each month. Gravity, as well as the cosmic winds, are infinitely working together in different ways at different times.

Here's an example of changes that occur between a new moon and a full moon:

Dig a hole during a new moon. Now, fill it back up with the dirt you took out. There will not be enough dirt to fill the hole back up. Now, dig a hole on a full moon. Now, fill it back up with the dirt you took out. There will be too much dirt. This proves, to me, that the moon causes physical changes on Earth depending on it's cycle.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go out and get wolf's bane or silver bullets for a full moon, just that there are many unseen forces of nature that man has not completely figured out yet.

In the animal kingdom, predators take advantage of the full moon much like law enforcement does. Much easier to see.

Light has much to do with personality. Take a brightly lit room compared to a dark room. Now, dim the room to make a mood. A full moon is like a dimmer switch compared to the brightest time of day. Our bodies, through the course of evolution, have a natural biological clock. We have been programed by nature to slow down during the nighttime hours. Our inner selves are somehow awakened by a full moon.

Countless movies and books have used the full moon in it's stories. I've always believed legend has some bit of truth.

It does set a mood IMO. We are physical beings. The cycle of the moon causes physical changes, whether we are aware of them or not.

Talk to any old timer. My grandparents were farmers. they ran a lot of their lives by the moon. Ever pick up a Farmers Almanac? The real one.Everything from the first turning of the soil to planting crops to the harvesting of those crops is covered. Cut your hair or nails(you could transfer that into horses hooves)in the dark of the moon they won't grow back as fast. Potty training a baby can even be done by the moons cycle. I don't know if it all works but a lot of old farmers sure thought so. :coolio:

I do understand the whole thing about how the moon has a lot of gravitational effect on the earth's oceans, and we are also made of water. I don't see though how a full moon makes any difference as opposed to any other moon. Is it actually closer to the earth? Nevertheless, it is very interesting.