Fake YouTube pages used to spread viruses

Mike

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Savvy Internet users know that downloading unsolicited computer programs is one of the most dangerous things you can do online. It puts you at great risk for a virus or another time bomb from a hacker.

But even some sophisticated surfers could get taken in by a sneaky new attack in which criminals create fake YouTube pages - dead-on replicas of the real site - to push their malicious software and make it look like it's safe stuff coming from a trusted source.

A program circulating online helps hackers build those fake pages. Users who follow an e-mail pointing them to one of the pages would see an error message that claims the video they want won't play without installing new software first. That error message includes a link the hacker has provided to a malicious program, which delivers a virus.

Even worse: once the computer is infected, it's simple for the hacker to silently redirect the victims to a real YouTube page to see videos they were hoping to see - and hide the crime.

"It's spot-on accurate, and that is scary," said Jamz Yaneza, threat research manager for security software company Trend Micro Inc. "If I were watching YouTube videos all day I would probably click on this one."

The tactic itself isn't new: There's a constant push by criminals to build more convincing spoofs of legitimate sites to trick people into downloading harmful software. And the latest attacks don't target any vulnerability in the YouTube site.

But it highlights the fact that criminals are getting better at creating bogus sites and developing so-called "social engineering" methods to fool people.

Fortunately, truly alert Internet users can still see the telltale warning signs with the fake YouTube pages. For one, the Web browser won't show the real YouTube's Internet address. And to even see the malicious page, you have to first follow a link that's sent to you, which is often a tip-off that you should independently verify whether the site is legitimate.

Copyright © 2008 Associated Press

Some will spread virus for the 'thrill' of destroying someone's personal property.

But the larger goal and purpose is to destroy a monopoly.

The vast vast vast majority of virus are written to attack Windows Operating Systems.

The virus is not attacking you, it is attacking Microsoft.

It would be equally easy to write a virus for Mac machine or Linux box, but it would be pointless.

If the computer monopoly were to be busted, and new companies allowed to write new Operating Systems, then not only would there be no corporate target for the upper-echelon Black Hats to target, but it would be that much harder to write code for scores of OS.

At this very moment, every member of this Board is probably infected with a really nasty spybot, because there was a huge (virtually unreported) security breech in early 2008 at all sorts of mainstream websites (Washington Post, MSN, etc) that every visitor for weeks downloaded some nasty little (future) surprises.

It hasn't been activated yet, but we could very well see a network of millions (billions?) of spybot computers kick into action, steal everyone's banking information, credit cards, social security numbers, everything.

Then your entire hard drive could get fried to hell.

So, if you're paranoid about virus.

wise up

get some linux

support open source

and stop giving your money and support to an inefficient corporation.

Funny, so many people can be against 'big government' and get so upset that they have to pay their 'taxes' for social services they don't support,

but happily fork over buttloads of cash to big business that regularly provide horrible service, and a worthless product.

whatevs.

I'm safe-surfin'

The virus is not attacking you, it is attacking Microsoft.

You´re wrong. The virus is attacking good people who

have to trust Microsoft as they have no other option. Yes, they can buy Linux or Mac. Or maybe they can´t? Mac is very expensive, I don´t know about Linux.

I know, you´re safe, you have Linux. I´m safe, I have Mac. What about the others? They have to be the silent victims of a bunch of web terrorists who destroy they work, their files, their working tools as well? And you make them look like some romantic guerrilleros agains the big Microsoft? :P

Scott, you´re wrong in your statement. Or maybe you´re not, the hackers do attack Microsoft, but their main victims are PC users like every songfactor, or friend or relative of yours.

Linux is free.

Windows is expensive.

'Innocent' PC users are not innocent, they have eaten the filth that Bill Gates has laid on their plate.

It's a monopoly, they withhold valuable coding from the public (see open source) and make it a royal pain for anyone who wants to use their computer to it's fullest potential.

Am I going around writing viruses and spreading them around? No

It's just a false-hood to assume that those who do are targeting users, they are collateral damage, not in all cases (credit card phishers) but in most.

Linux is free

Really? Where can I get a free Linux computer? :P

It's just a false-hood to assume that those who do are targeting users, they are collateral damage...

Scott, amigo, come on... :shades: you´re calling collateral damage when good persons lose their files and work and tools and get into big big trouble due to a virus spread by a noble liberator from the evilness of Bill Gates?? :P

Hackers are Robin Hoods then? I don´t get it... there´s plenty of peple like me and most of the songfactors who just want to live their lives peacefully and use their internet. Microsoft is a moster? Maybe. But the ones who spread viruses are b***tards.

Scott, I understand your defiance to the business dealings of Microsoft. I was a 20 year old once, too. Not as brilliant as you, nor as motivated, but I was a sold out social idealist, albeit one with a very simplistic vision. I can only hope that you and some friends will start a small business out of your home, based on your dreams, because that opportunity exists for you. Through many hours of hard work and diligence, I sincerely hope that business begins to blossom and grow, requiring you to move into to increasingly larger spaces in order to accomodate its growth. Along the way, I hope successful fulfillment of your visionary dreams require you find it necessary to provide employment to thousands of otherwise unemployed individuals and that your product brings some degree of satisfaction to millions of people you don't even know. What I hope does not happen is that a small group of individuals then look at the end result of your business acumen and decide to take it upon themselves to hobble you and your company simply because they do not agree that you have done things in the "proper" manner.

I also hope we can talk about this subject again after about 20 years of your success, to find out if any of your opinions have evolved. I really do.

You can put a linux OS on an old (I mean old) beater computer, and it will run pretty much as good as a Windows XP box.

But Windows is inefficient, hampering to creativity, the code is unaccessible, and it is expensive.

Not to mention with the Windows EULA, I would have to buy the same piece of code multiple times to put that same code on multiple computers.

So, anyone who uses the system, should be aware that they are vulnerable to attack, that their system is not up-to-speed, that there are better options out there, are not enveloped in some sort of 'magic bubble of innocence' they have bought into the machine, they know the risks.

It's like putting money into the stock market, there is no 100% guarantee that your assets are going to be safe.

As far as trying to feed me the idea that I'm going to run some sort of small business that turns into a multi-media-market-super-conglomerate.

A)Not gonna happen

B)With advents in technology, and new emphasis on local business supporting local markets, there is no need for a business to expand beyond a small home outfit, in fact, it would be irresponsible to expand.

Anyone in town can come to the local headquarters, and anyone from out of state who is so attracted to the product can make use of the internet.