Raising Sand ~ Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Lucky

robert_plant_alison_krauss_raising_.jpg

Raising Sand ~ Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Raising Sand was released one year ago this month. It's been called an unlikely pairing. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. There are those that scoff (to put it mildly) at the thought of Plant collaborating with a Country artist. The same can be said for Krauss collaborating with Plant, traditional country artist that she is. The only important fact here is that this is a great album. As country and traditional artists go, Alison Krauss is the top of the heap, and one of the most versatile in the business. Plant is Plant, consumate rocker, the voice of Rock & Roll.

A marriage of Americana, Roots, Pop, Folk and even some Rock, this is probably the most eclectic grouping of songs and styles you'll find. Plant & Kauss put their own spin on these songs that make them their own. I honestly think there is something for everyone here.

The marriage of the vocals between these two is heaven. Krauss' voice is delicate, haunting and dramatic. Plant sounds like Plant but softer. He moans and he wails, and he slithers and he's just ... Robert Plant. The harmonies between the two are to die for, and on their respective solos the voice of each is taken to a new place, and it's a place we've not been before.

The music is given it's heavily traditional sound by the use of traditional American instruments and songs. Krause' fiddle, T Bone Burnett's guitar playing and the guest backing players give the music a distinct and individual sound. Burnett's production is widely considered to be the third factor in the genuis of this album.

Raising Sand has garnered all sorts of acheivements in the year since its release. Debuted at #2 in the US, reached #2 in the UK in January of this year. Named #24 on Rolling Stone's Top 50 albums of 2007, and the single Gone, Gone, Gone won a grammy for best pop collaboration.

Listen:

1. "Rich Woman" (Dorothy LaBostrie, McKinley Millet) – 4:04 Link

2. "Killing the Blues" (Roly Jon Salley) – 4:16 Link

3. "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" (Sam Phillips) – 3:26 Link

4. "Polly Come Home" (Gene Clark) – 5:36 Link

5. "Gone, Gone, Gone (Done Moved On)" (Phil Everly, Don Everly) – 3:33 Link

6. "Through the Morning, Through the Night" (Gene Clark) – 4:01 Link

7. "Please Read the Letter" (Charlie Jones, Michael Lee, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant) – 5:53 Link

8. "Trampled Rose" (Tom Waits, Kathleen Brennan) – 5:34 Link

9. "Fortune Teller" (Naomi Neville) – 4:30 Link

10. "Stick with Me, Baby" (Mel Tillis) – 2:50 Link

11. "Nothin'" (Townes Van Zandt) – 5:33 Link

12. "Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson" (Milton Campbell) – 4:02 Link

13. "Your Long Journey" (Arthel Lane Doc Watson, Rosa Lee Watson) – 3:55 Link

Edited by Guest
fixed links

• 1 month later...

This album is a fantastic surprise. I really thought Plant was done. I heard Gone Gone Gone on MUCHMUSIC of all things (Canada's MTV). I was blown away. Their voices compliment each other perfectly. They trade between melody and harmony effortlessly. You still get those famous Robert Plant wails, and a TIGHT band. Great album!

• 1 month later...