Rory Gallagher

elie

I had tickets to see Rory at a place called "My Father's Place" in Roslyn, NY. A very popular club in the 70's and 80's. I guess this was about '83 or '84. I drove into New York from Jersey...right through Manhattan to get there in time. We showed up to find out that he cancelled and Al Kooper was filling in...we didn't stay.

I had seen Rory at Shea Stadium around 1976..he was warm up for Tull and Robin Trower. Unfortunately, he only got to play for 20 minutes, it was pouring rain, hard to hear..I thought the later gig would be great, but it wasn't to be.

I'm afraid I don't have any particularly interesting stories, but I'm a huge fan of this extremely talented fellow.

He is, IMO, one of THE MOST underrated guitarists in rock music.

He was incredibly versatile on that old Stratocaster. He could tear it up on rockers like Shin Kicker Morning, Bad Penny or Wayward Child or he could play the blues with the best of them. He was one of the all time great slide guitarists (just listen to Bullfrog Blues or Gambling Blues to name just a few). He also played the sitar very well on a few of his tunes. I was very saddened when I heard of his untimely passing.

I highly recommend his music to anyone who likes straight ahead rock and roll or electric blues. I wish I had had the opportunity to see him play live.

I´m not a fan of RG but I respect him a lot and admit he was very good. In fact, I liked him a lot many years ago. We have some of his albums, my husband is a fan.

I saw him in the mid seventies. He played for hours. Then I saw him again in a small place and it was a great show in both ocasions.