Raindrops keep falling on my head

Mike

I will forever be remembering Paul Newman for his greatest character role in my book. That of Butch Cassidy in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

One of the romantic and heart-warming scenes in the film is when "Butch" shows his most personable character traits, as a gentleman and a suitor. He actually courts "Etta" (Katherine Ross) while taking her on a bicycle ride.

In honor of the passing of Paul Newman the other day. I present " Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head" that I submitted a few years ago. In memory of a legend!

RAINDROP.jpg

They tried to get Bob Dylan to sing Burt Bacharach's famous song for the movie. He declined.

Katharine Ross enjoyed shooting the silent, bicycle riding sequence best, because it was handled by the film crew's second unit rather than the director. She said, "Any day away from George Roy Hill was a good one."

Paul Newman did his own bicycle stunts, after his stunt man was unable to stay on the bike, except for the scene where Butch crashes backwards into the fence, which was performed by cinematographer Conrad L. Hall.

According to screenwriter William Goldman, his screenplay originally was entitled “The Sundance Kid and Butch Cassidy.†Both Steve McQueen and Paul Newman read the script at approximately the same time, and agreed to do it, with McQueen playing the Sundance Kid. When McQueen dropped out, the names reversed in the title, as Newman was a superstar.