Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Space Cowboy

Not to be a contrarian, but Arrested Development also lacks an 'emotional connection between the characters'

It followed the exploits of a completely ego-centric , selfish, upper-class family, and within that family, the only emotional connections the characters made was with themselves.

If one was to argue that a bond grows between George SR to Michael, to George Michael, they're missing the point. As the series finale had the entire family flee from eachother and stab eachother in the back one final time.

It's kind of possible to argue that George Michael and Michael get closer, but I think that Michael is just as detached from his son at the end of the series as he was in the beginning.

I think you're confusing continuity of a series with 'emotional connection' between characters.

Because that's the main difference between AD and Always Sunny, AD had a plot that flowed from episode to episode, which had character development, but the Bluth family development was never one that grew towards 'togetherness' but instead saw the characters getting more and more self-absorbed.

Whereas Always Sunny is a 'by the week' series, where the events of a previous week rarely effect next weeks.

But, if you're really into Sunny you will notice some reference and points of continuity.

and the latest episode had Dennis and Mac competing over the title of being Charlie's best friend, so I dunno, maybe we're both wrong, and there is emotional connection between characters.

But to sum up, AD and Always Sunny focus on selfcentered characters with no ability or desire to empathize or connect with any other character.

and the office, I'll watch an episode and enjoy it here and there, but never really got terribly into it.

Well it's not so much that the viewers connected with all the characters on AD, but it was easy to relate to Michael and George Michael. And I like my family, but I bet anyone with a negative family experience could connect with it as well.

I think the best way to put it is that you can watch a few episodes of AD and name all the characters and some personality traits, and I've seen about 5 or 6 episodes of Always Sunny and I couldn't name one character or a personality trait besides they're all a**holes.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were saying that the characters had no emotional connection to eachother, not that you had no emotional connection to the characters.

I misunderstood.

And I see your point, the characters of Always Sunny are incredibly unlikeable... which is part of the fun,

while they are all unlikeable, they have personality traits of their own.

I guess it was all just a misunderstanding. It's definitely a fun show, but personally for a TV show to pull me in week after week, I either need to relate to the characters or genuinely care about what happens to them. Different people like different stuff.

• 1 year later...

I don't know how I missed this thread before.

This is the funniest show on cable tv, IMO. I've been watching some of the episodes on Hulu, and since the rental place doesn't carry this show anymore, I'm gonna have to get the DVDs. I know it's still on the air, but I can never find the show on FX anymore :(

• 5 months later...

I love this show. I can sympathise and empathise with all the characters - it's what pulled me into the show in the first place. I hate shows such as Friends or the American version of The Office because they are so saccharine and insipid, forced, trite, and contrived; they look stupid. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia really goes for the throat and gives its audience a sucker punch. It's a raunchy version of Seinfeld :beatnik:

The British Office is far superior, as they knew when to quit. The American version outlived its usefulness three seasons ago and should be made redundant.

I dunno, maybe I just still watch because I'm in love with Jenna Fischer. But it does make me laugh on a regular basis more often than any non-Stewart/Colbert involving show that's still on right now.

I love this show and I agree that it's like a raunchy Seinfeld, but if you can sympathise/empathise with these characters you need help. It's funny because they're horrible people.

Also, I agree that Friends sucks, but the American Office is awesome.

Hello, hello? Are you writing this from the comfort of your grave? Whoever doesn't relate to mean and horrible people just hasn't lived.

American The Office blows steaming chunks and eats it back up. It is total chud and terd country all rolled into a mayonnaise and baking soda sandwich. At the same time, it is the blandest, most blah, most yawn-inducing "comedy" to ever infest the airwaves since Mama's Family and Little Bush. Unfunny, uninteresting, and uninspiring :beatnik: