RIP Paul Newman

MarcM

What really gets me is that this man has been an icon and a fixture for my entire life, and for most of us, I believe. I cannot remember a time when I didn't know about Paul Newman. He's not some semi-forgotten star that that dropped out of the spotlight as he got older. This is truly a sad moment for us all.

Edited by Guest

that's true, just take a look at his filmography...

Cars (2006)

The Life Between (as himself) (2003)

Road To Perdition (2002)

The Simpsons (TV series, one episode, voice) (2001)

Where The Money Is (2000)

Message In A Bottle (1999)

Twilight (1998)

Nobody's Fool (1994)

Baseball (TV miniseries, voice, as himself) (1994)

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

La Classe Americaine (1993)

Mr And Mrs Bridge (1990)

Blaze (1989)

Shadow Makers (1989)

The Colour Of Money (1986)

Harry & Son (1984)

The Verdict (1982)

Absence Of Malice (1981)

Fort Apache: The Bronx (1981)

When Time Ran Out (1980)

Quintet (1979)

Slap Shot (1977)

The Gong Show (TV series, one episode, as himself) (1976)

Buffalo Bill And The Indians (1976)

Silent Movie (as himself) (1976)

McCarthy: Death Of A Witch Hunter (host) (1975)

The Drowning Pool (1975)

The Towering Inferno (1974)

The Sting (1973)

The Mackintosh Man (1973)

The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean (1972)

Pocket Money (1972)

Sometimes A Great Notion (1971)

WUSA (1970)

King: A Filmed Record... Montgomery To Memphis (commentator) (1970)

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969)

Winning (1969)

The Secret War Of Harry Frigg (1968)

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

Hombre (1967)

A Year Toward Tomorrow (narrator) (1966)

Torn Curtain (1966)

Harper (1966)

Lady L (1965)

The Outrage (1964)

What A Way To Go! (1964)

The Prize (1963)

A New Kind Of Love (1963)

Hud (1963)

Adventures Of A Young Man (1962)

Sweet Bird Of Youth (1962)

Paris Blues (1961)

The Hustler (1961)

From The Terrace (1960)

Exodus (1960)

What's My Line (TV series, one episode, as himself) (1959)

The Young Philadelphians (1959)

Rally 'Round The Flag, Boys! (1958)

The Left Handed Gun (1958)

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958)

The Long Hot Summer (1958)

Playhouse 90 (TV series, one episode) (1958)

Until They Sail (1957)

The Helen Morgan Story (1957)

The United States Steel Hour (TV series, 2 episodes) (1956)

The Kaiser Aluminum Hour (TV series, one episode) (1956)

The Rack (1956)

Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)

Playwrights 56 (TV series, one episode) (1955)

Producers' Showcase (TV series, one episode) (1955)

The Philco Television Playhouse (TV series, one episode) (1955)

Appointment With Adventure (TV series, one episode) (1955)

Danger (TV series, one episode) (1954)

Goodyear Television Playhouse (TV series, 2 episodes) (1954)

The Mask (TV series, one episode) (1954)

The Silver Chalice (1954)

The Web (TV series, 2 episodes) (1953)

You Are There (TV series, 2 episodes) (1953)

The Aldrich Family (TV series) (1952-1953)

Tales Of Tomorrow (TV series, one episode) (1951)

Yeah, he didn't want his final days invaded, he wanted to just go peacefully, quietly with his family by his side. There was speculation a few months ago that he was on limited time. Thankfully the press respectfully let him have his privacy.

I have been a huge Newman fan since I was a kid. I wanted to meet him badly, I even got tickets to go watch him race at Seattle International Raceway in 1983, I think he came in 10th. Drove a 280zx? I think?

Anyway, was a wonderful day, a wonderful race!

His passing truly makes me so sad. I grew up watching him. I read somewhere a few months ago that he had cancer so I am not surprised that he is gone. I just purchased his movie "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" not long ago. My fav of his. He will be sorely missed by many. Rest in peace Mr. Newman.

Though his Cool Hand Luke was a an exemplary characterization, the man only got better with time. Loved Butch and Sundance. His role in "Message In A Bottle" was the best part of that movie. Like all the best actors, he had a way of adding a layered richness to any part he tackled, and did it selflessly for the good of the ensembled project.

Hey, and let us not forget this character of his...

dochudson.png

Doc Hudson!

Doc Hudson (also known as "Dr. Hudson" or simply "Doc") is voiced by Paul Newman. His license plate reads 51HHMD (a reference to his year, model and profession). Doc was once known as the Fabulous Hudson Hornet (#51), one of the most famous racecars to have ever lived; he won three Piston Cups, and still holds the record for most wins in a single season (27, a reference to real-life Hornets winning 27 NASCAR races in 1952). All that changed for the famous Hornet when a terrible crash on the track at the qualifying race in 1954 saw him put out for the season. Upon his return, he was received with a complete absence of fanfare and told that he was a has-been who had been passed up for the next rookie in line. He kept a newspaper article on the career-ending crash as a reminder never to return to the life that nearly killed him.

Jaded by the racing scene, he left that world, apparently taking out time to study medicine. The famous #51 disappeared into obscurity, leaving many wondering where he had gone. He instead opted for a simple navy blue paint job and the life of a physician in the tiny town of Radiator Springs, the "shining Gemstone" of the Mother Road - Route 66. He runs Doc's Clinic as a "doctor of internal combustion". As times changed and the town got bypassed in favor of Interstate 40, Doc stayed on, even when the population had dwindled to a meager dozen or so residents. He is respected, well-loved, and serves not only as the town's physician, but as its judge as well. However, nobody in the town had any idea of his past as a racer; he was just an ordinary Hudson Hornet to them.

Upon meeting the young hotshot Lightning McQueen, Doc saw far too much of his past in the rookie. After McQueen finished fixing the road he damaged and decided to stay for a while, Doc was unable to bear having him around any longer and called the news and press to immediately take him away to the Piston Cup, declaring that it is best for everyone. But seeing how disheartened everyone was by his unplanned departure, Doc realized that McQueen had become more important to them than he thought. He took back his old #51 colors to become McQueen's pit crew chief, bringing nearly the entire town to the Piston Cup to support Lightning as his pit crew. By the end of the film, Doc opts to keep his racing colors, and becomes a trainer as well as crew chief to the young McQueen. Just like McQueen, Doc learned some lessons: friendship, promises, how greed affects others, and that secrets can't be kept forever.

The car is based on the real-life Fabulous Hudson Hornet in NASCAR competition driven by Herb Thomas and Marshall Teague.

This was Paul Newman's final role.

Wiki

As my mother said: " The most beautiful eyes in the world have been shut forever"

In my husband's younger (and single) days, he spent a lot of time at Pocono Raceway, camping out. One time, he and his friends saw Paul Newman walking by. They didn't recognize him until he'd walked past them, but when he heard his name, he turned around and waved.

A great actor, but more importantly, a great person.

I can't even handle this at all . Paul Newman IS NOT dead -not ever ! :rockon: :rockon:

I fully agree, Kevin. You´re so right... He´s here forever.

"The Sting" is a movie I watch every now and then. I loved "Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid" (I was 14 when it was released... we all went to the premiere!!) And I want to watch "The Hustler" once again.

One of the last members of a dying breed; the true HOLLYWOOD MOVIESTAR. He is one of the rare few whose offscreen legacy will be as great as his cinematic one. He was a great humanitarian and humble man who will be missed by a great many people, myself among them.

I think my favourite Paul Newman films are Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, Cool Hand Luke and Where The Money Is.

R.I.P. Paul