Worst Songs of All-Time ?

MindCrime

Me? Creep by Radiohead. And the sad part is, I really like the music. Then the words come in and they're just so pathetic that you can't even feel any sympathy for this snivelling - er - creep. Yeah, I guess I should admire its honesty.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That smarmy Peter Gabriel song, "In Your Eyes"?

Ha, that was a recent #1 on the Songfacts top 10 popularity charts :P

BTW, I love the song Telephone as previously suggested by another poster. I'm using it as my current ringtone.

as someone here suggested a while ago, the worst song of all time on my list has to do with a personal experience... and it would be Pink Floyd - anything off "The Wall" comes on the radio and I can't change the station fast enough.

Even Comfortably Numb? Most people I know who hate The Wall at least like that song. Of course, the only song from that album that is played on the radio is Another Brick In The Wall pt. 2, which I loathe and despise with the passion of 1,000 white-hot burning suns.

Actually I loathe and despise 95% of that album, so I'm partially with you on that.

Hated N*Sync but forgot about them now, however I have several Justin Timberlake songs on my ipod that I actually listen to in my car time to time. I especially like the songs he collaborated with T.I. on (My Love, and Dead & Gone)

"Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake is a good song. With the semi-manufactured pop stars like JT and the rest of the boy bands, it's really their producers and songwriters who are determining how good their music is. Timberlake has some good songs thanks to working with the Neptunes and Timbaland

Giving it much thought, I have decided that "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith is the worst song of all time. The lyrics:

American girls and American guys will always stand up and salute;

Will always recognize

When we see ol' glory flying,

There's a lot of men dead,

So we can sleep in peace at night when we lay down our head.

My daddy served in the army,

Where he lost his right eye.

But he flew a flag out in our yard 'til the day that he died.

He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me

To grow up and live happy in the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love has fallen under attack.

A mighty sucker punch came flying in from somewhere in the back.

Soon as we could see clearly through our big black eye,

Man we lit up your world like the Fourth of July.

Hey Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list,

And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist.

And the eagle will fly,

And there's gonna be Hell,

When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell!

It's gonna feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you...

Brought to you courtesy of the Red, White and Blue!

Oh, Justice will be served and the battle will rage.

This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage

You'll be sorry that you messed with the US of A

'Cuz we'll put a boot in your ass

It's the American way.

Hey Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list,

And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist.

And the eagle will fly,

And there's gonna be Hell,

When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell!

And it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you...

Brought to you courtesy of the Red, White and Blue!

Of the Red, White and Blue..

Of my Red, White and Blue...

Combine that with the most god-awful generic pop-country tune and you have the worst song of all time. On a personal note, I think it irks me most of all that I used to like this crap. Just like most of the country immediately post-9/11, I was caught up in the knee-jerk jingoistic nationalism that was guided by blind revenge and excused by the term "patriotism" (I was also 13 years old when this song came out. Perhaps I should cut myself some slack.). And good ol' Toby came along to give us a new national anthem to fit the times. Yuck.

ha ha yes! I may be making it a bigger deal than it was, but I think that "boot in your ass" line was a turning point in post 9-11 America. It was when the majority of America started to think, "Wait a minute, this blind nationalism is starting to get a bit silly."

OK maybe it wasn't all that line, but it was definitely a very visible part of the bigger picture.