Worst Songs of All-Time ?

MindCrime

Anything by any of the following artists is in my opinion, some of the worst songs of all time:

Miley Cyrus and all her Nickelodeon/Disney tween compatriots

Lady Gaga

Britney Spears and all those teen-pop groups of the late 90s-early 00s

Milli Vanilli

Vanilla Ice, Snow, Eminem and all other white rappers -- stop it, you're embarrassing us

Justin Bieber

99% of country artists who sing about the same things in every single song

Any covers of songs that shouldn't be covered, including but not limited to: Stairway To Heaven, Comfortably Numb, Layla and anything from The Rolling Stones

Songs with Auto-Tune

Songs with horrible synthesizer lines such as The Final Countdown by Europe

I could think of more, but I'd end up pissing someone off in the process. LOL

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eminem is a pretty skilled rapper, even though almost everything he has done recently has been awful. His first two albums are great though, in my opinion.

Not all white rappers are bad. The Beastie Boys and Aesop Rock immediately come to mind when thinking of good white rappers. There are a bunch of others too of course, but I dunno, racial distinctions in music aren't really that important to make. Cultural distinctions can usually be made though.

It's easy to tell while listening to them that Tool has a good knowledge of musical theory, I just think their instruments sound really gross, if that makes any sense. Something about that chunky guitar tone just turns me off. I'm not a big metal guy in general. I used to be really into the classic metal, and although I don't listen to it much anymore I don't mind when it's on the radio. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden are pretty good.

But yeah, anyways, Tool, they are good at using their instruments I agree, but if I want to listen to talented musicians I might as well listen to same jazz or some classical because those are some genres I can really get down with. John Coltrane and artists like him just seem more in touch with the emotions besides angst, whereas Tool just sounds constipated usually. Just my opinion though.

I mean, I like Eminem. The Marshall Mathers LP, The Slim Shady LP and The Eminem Show are very good albums. Though I will admit, Eminem can write some pretty f***ed up stuff, I think overall he's quite a good rapper.

As for Tool, I too can only take them in doses. Too much Tool can overload a brain.

Anything by any of the following artists is in my opinion, some of the worst songs of all time:

Miley Cyrus and all her Nickelodeon/Disney tween compatriots

Lady Gaga

Britney Spears and all those teen-pop groups of the late 90s-early 00s

Milli Vanilli

Vanilla Ice, Snow, Eminem and all other white rappers -- stop it, you're embarrassing us

Justin Bieber

Any covers of songs that shouldn't be covered, including but not limited to: Stairway To Heaven, Comfortably Numb, Layla and anything from The Rolling Stones

Songs with Auto-Tune

Songs with horrible synthesizer lines such as The Final Countdown by Europe

I could think of more, but I'd end up pissing someone off in the process. LOL

Not pissed off, i can assure you, but puzzled.

You start promisingly by reminding us that this is only your opinion, but then you don't name any actual songs. So your list ends up just being an opinion piece on artists and genres which suck in your opinion. But this is a thread for "worst songs", not "worst artists" or "worst genres".

However much I might tend to agree with you on some of the genres you hold in contempt, I think just saying "anything teen-pop", "anything white rap", "anything C&W" is a pointless contribution. "Anything by all the artists and genres I despise, regardless of whether I have even listened to them" is too big a cohort of songs to count, you see?

Personally, I dislike the phenomenon of "Miley Cyrus and all her Nickelodeon/Disney tween compatriots" too, as it symbolises the hegemony of (predominantly American) junk culture, the triumph of amoral corporate cynicism over the idealism and innocence of youth (or somesuch); it treats the kids as morons. I resent the fact that my daughter has been sufficiently exposed to Miley Cyrus / Justin Bieber to even know who they are, in spite of their evident charmlessness and mediocrity, when much better musical and cultural alternatives abound. However, since I could neither name nor hum the tune of any of their songs, I can't possibly list them as "worst songs".

Another puzzler:

Embarrassing us? Us? Who? White people? If so, why? Vanilla Ice and Snow are both pretty laughable, but pop music is supposed to be silly, cheesy, absurd. If you take the ridiculous out of pop, you throw the baby out with the bathwater. The idea that we white people should be embarrassed about the likes of Ice and Snow is just plain weird. Are you thinking that because these are white guys, chancing it in a "music of black origin" (and looking silly), they are somehow representing "us", and should do better? That's as irrational as me listening to Eminem and feeling ashamed to be male. There is no musical/cultural apartheid that states that "whites must not try to do black music, blacks must not try to do white music", and thanks be for that, I say. Where would we be, if white musicians had never tried their hand at the music of the black man? I know my music collection would be significantly depleted, since I only have one CD of classical music. The history of rock and pop is built upon white artists' appropriation of black music for love or commercial gain, a fact of which you must surely be aware, as a keen fan of The Rolling Stones and Eric Clapton. Do you feel similiarly embarrassed to be white, whenever you hear white guys playing blues, funk, jazz or reggae less brilliantly than a band of black musicians might? Go on, I bet you don't.

Is that really true, or is it just a blanket generalisation to support a prejudice you hold against a certain genre? I honestly don't know enough of country to know if what you're saying is true. I'd hazard a guess that the genre is characterised by a range of stereotypical lyrical themes, but that the percentage of songs conforming to those themes is significantly lower than the 99% you mentioned. And that, even within those that conform to the stereotypes, there are nuances of difference in the light they shed on the nature of human relationships and everyday life. But I'm just guessing. We don't have country music over here, you see. Some of the most respected wordsmiths and songwriters of my generation (e.g. Elvis Costello, Nick Cave, Bill Callahan, Will Oldham, etc.) are huge fans and sometime practitioners of country music; I doubt this would be the case if those songs really were as monodimensional as you suggest. Could it be that your opinion is founded upon a superficial and cursory analysis of the genre?

Artists should think long and hard about what song to cover, what do they want to do with it and why. Like anybody else, I have occasionally wished that people would leave well alone. So I guess I sympathise with the notion of "untouchables"; I just probably have different ideas on what the untouchables are. Covers tend to fall into categories: reverential (usually a bad idea), iconoclastic (can be a good idea), or a reinterpretation in a radically different style to the original (can be a really good idea, but is inevitably regarded as sacrilege by the purists). Examples of the latter include The Scissor Sisters "Comfortably Numb" and Devo's "Satisfaction", both of which I find enjoyable, worthwhile and artistically justifiable, but presumably they are anathema to you. Why on earth artists should steer clear of covering the Rolling Stones - a band who have have performed other people's songs (accredited and unaccredited) throughout their existence - I don't know. You're right about Eric Clapton though; I heard Bob Marley's cover of "I Shot The Sheriff" and it was nowhere near as good as Clapton's original. ;)

There's no need for you to be puzzled, blind-fitter. If you don't like what I posted, ignore it. Seriously. I didn't feel like posting every single song by those artists so I just said "every song by these artists". It saved space. I thought that was rather obvious and simple, clearly you didn't.

Furthermore, it's my opinion. If you don't agree with it, fine.....but please don't post half a page of you doing nothing more than trying to say I'm either stupid or wrong. I think it's incredibly rude to do that people, which is why I don't. I expect that same courtesy from everyone else.

Don't go on the defensive instantly, pinkstones - B-F isn't out to make you look stupid. Them's some perfectly rational points. Perhaps jarringly so, but totally reasonable questions.

For the most part he's agreeing with you, anyway.

Oh gee, the "d" word. Didn't see that coming.

If he didn't agree with any of my choices, that's cool. Some people like what others hate, some people hate what others like. I get that. Different strokes, and all. That said, I didn't like the tone he took with me -- it smacked of being lectured by one's dad. My mom always said "it's not what you say but how you say it." I disagree with people here without being rude to them, is it so wrong that I expect that from everyone else?

Embarrassing us? Us? Who? White people? If so, why?

In the German language we have a concept called "fremdschämen" ("fremd" = "alien", "different" and "schämen" = "to be ashamed", "to be embarrassed")

rough definition is to feel embarrassed for the actions of another instead of them (probably because they don't feel the same about their own actions)

and that even goes for things that you don't have anything to do with yourself...

does that make sense? :wacky:

All right children that's enough. Stop making Pinkstones your scapegoat. She posted her honest opinion and I agree with her. You wanna know how white people are embarassing? Snow, a CANADIAN with a FAKE JAMACAIN ACCENT. That's embarrassing. And, although I can't say what meant in her OP, there are country singers who are always singing about getting drunk or bombing America's enemies into oblivion and they should shut the hell up.

Pinkstones is right. If you don't like what she wrote, you don't have to comment. If we all posted on what made us angry here, we'd never get anything done. Vilifying her doesn't make your opinions more valid. And calling her defensive for making her opinion known is ridiculous.

I hate SF now. I rarely post because of crap like this. Some of you I'm sure are standing up and cheering reading this, but I don't care. This is the INTERNET people. No one is the ruler. Would you be so forceful with your opinions and behave as poorly to people in real life as people do here? Stop making Pinkstones the scapegoat and stop worrying about other people's opinions. They don't diminish what you music love.

what are you talking about? seriously? "scapegoat"? :confused:

just in my last post I was fully agreeing with her and even before that b-f was (that's how I understood it) basically asking for a discussion, as opposed to a flame war... not to mention that a large part of his post is agreeing to her too...

I seriously don't get how anyone could be offended about that :P

Okay, that's enough! We've been over this a million times already. The worst song ever is "Paper Late" by Genesis!

No other song in modern music history even comes close to the horrific pain that this song inflicts on one's ears when being forced to hear it.

Yeah, you can say, (in my goofiest Bullwinkle voice) "Well, why don't you just change the channel, Sammy?" Sometimes it's not that easy. You can be in a music store or a Wal-Mart, and all of a sudden you are just bombarded with the evil that is this song. You can't even leave the store because you already have your cart full of so much crap that you did't even need in the first place. Your ears begin to bleed right there in the aisle, and some poor 16-year-old kid has to clean it all up after all those stricken patrons leave the store.

"Paper Late" IS the worst song ever. This is fact. So, please, just end this thread now, and save all these good people of Songfacts the grief of argument and the time spent typing.

Thank you.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsdown:

There's a difference between posting your opinion and then getting feedback and posting your opinion and getting talked down to like you're sitting in the principal's office.

If blind-fitter didn't agree with me, there was a better way for him to go about doing it than the way he chose. I don't care if people disagree with me. I do care how they talk to me, however. I'm not going to apologize for that.

Okay, that's enough! We've been over this a million times already. The worst song ever is "Paper Late" by Genesis!

No other song in modern music history even comes close to the horrific pain that this song inflicts on one's ears when being forced to hear it.

Yeah, you can say, (in my goofiest Bullwinkle voice) "Well, why don't you just change the channel, Sammy?" Sometimes it's not that easy. You can be in a music store or a Wal-Mart, and all of a sudden you are just bombarded with the evil that is this song. You can't even leave the store because you already have your cart full of so much crap that you did't even need in the first place. Your ears begin to bleed right there in the aisle, and some poor 16-year-old kid has to clean it all up after all those stricken patrons leave the store.

"Paper Late" IS the worst song ever. This is fact. So, please, just end this thread now, and save all these good people of Songfacts the grief of argument and the time spent typing.

Thank you.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsdown:

Thanks for posting that Sammy. I couldn't recall what that song was so I just had to go listen to it :puppyeyes:

I should have just taken your word for it. Now my head hurts :(