Worst Songs of All-Time ?

MindCrime

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Alicia Bridges? Hmmmm... I found myself listening to that one the other week when I was enthusing about disco and rummaging through youtube. I remembered hearing it regularly in my youth; not at discos (where you would expect), but in the half-time interval at Doncaster Rovers F.C., back in the days when Rovers were in the basement of the Football League. So, apart from anything else, I associate "I Love The Night-Life" with grimness and defeat. Having reminded myself via the youtube videoclip; It's not a pleasant listening experience, is it?

On the other hand, I really like "Ring My Bell". :content:

I think we should do a Ten Special for the worst songs ever made.

We already did that once in the normal Top Tens... the results were that for every song there were people hating it and some loving it (or "don't care either way")

eg, I know that there are some SFers who actually quite like Lady Gaga ;)

But how about "worst albums by otherwise great bands"?

Unless there were a predetermined consensus on what constitutes a "great band", that won't work. For starters my idea of "a great band" is quite different from alot of other people's. Don't know about anyone else, but I haven't time to listen to stuff from the worst albums by bands I'm not too keen on in the first place. If a fan of a band I don't like tells me "Album X" sucks in comparison with with the rest of their stuff, I'll happily take his or her word for it. ;)

We already did that once in the normal Top Tens... the results were that for every song there were people hating it and some loving it (or "don't care either way")

Just like the normal Top Ten, then. The difference is that we're normally too polite to point out that somebody else's nomination is a stinker. In the "worst song" Top Ten, no-one can afford to be precious or ultra-sensitive. What if somebody nominates their "total stinker" and it's one of our own personal favourites? :puppyeyes:

Hey, it could happen. A "worst song" Top Ten is a license to heap scorn on the musical preferences of others. No problem for those of us with the hide of a rhinoceros, but is there a risk some might take stuff too personally?

"Take My Breath Away" is borderline Yatch Rock and is pretty harmless. I wouldn't willingly listen to it, but if it comes on the radio, it wouldn't bother me. Now, Tool... oh, my freakin' God, that is some downright horrendous music. I'd definitely vote for it as some of the worst on the unlistenable level of lady gaag :rockon:

See I love Tool because of the musical intelligence they have. I mean, they wrote a song where the time signature follows a Fibonacci Sequence for God's sake haha. But I can understand that they are somewhat of an acquired taste. As is most metal.

But I'm certainly a fan.

But then again, I just dig music :D

See I love Tool because of the musical intelligence they have. I mean, they wrote a song where the time signature follows a Fibonacci Sequence for God's sake haha...

And, yet, they managed to f*** it up royally by make it sound godawful. "Acquired taste" is one thing, but gratingly terrible every time it comes on is another. Listening to Tool is like hearing nails scratching a chalkboard beyond tolerable auditory levels. Ironically, I love Concrete, Futurist, Noise, and Industrial music, as well as Metal (Thrash, Speed, Black and Kvlt, Heavy, Hair, British Invasion), and Hard Rock, but Tool doesn't even rank at the bottom of any of these genres. It only fits in any list of "worst of..." :beatnik:

See I love Tool because of the musical intelligence they have. I mean, they wrote a song where the time signature follows a Fibonacci Sequence for God's sake haha. But I can understand that they are somewhat of an acquired taste. As is most metal.

But I'm certainly a fan.

But then again, I just dig music :D

Tool is awesome exactly for that reason, the song you're mentioning is Lateralus :thumbsup:

I can't really listen to them more than an album a time though, but that's the same with other progressive music ;)

And, yet, they managed to f*** it up royally by make it sound godawful. "Acquired taste" is one thing, but gratingly terrible every time it comes on is another. Listening to Tool is like hearing nails scratching a chalkboard beyond tolerable auditory levels. Ironically, I love Concrete, Futurist, Noise, and Industrial music, as well as Metal (Thrash, Speed, Black and Kvlt, Heavy, Hair, British Invasion), and Hard Rock, but Tool doesn't even rank at the bottom of any of these genres. It only fits in any list of "worst of..." :beatnik:

This coming from somebody who likes Chris I-Suck