PETA Wants Ben & Jerry's to Switch to Mother's Milk

Lucky

WATERBURY, Vt. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," said a spokesperson for Ben and Jerry's.

source

Eeeew :P

I wonder if the patrons of that Swiss restaurant are aware what they are getting?? :crazy:

It's a local tv news channel's website. This is a real thing, I heard on my local news this morning. ick ick ick.

Oh okay... just because I saw some other news report there which seemed a little strange :P

And yeah.. I was wondering about that restaurant too :crazy:

Okay *looking around for anyone from Vermont* Ben & Jerry's is a Vermont company, and we know those Vermonters are a bit off. They are well known as a very "green" pro environment bunch. We should probably be happy that they didn't jump right on the band wagon. Ayuh. ;)

I have to agree with Sammy's statements 100% on this one. Except for the pump part :rolleyes: typical guy statement :laughing:

Personally I think PETA needs to do a little research. If they know anything at all about cows they would know cows need to be milked. If they don't get milked bad things happen to them.

I don't know much about cows except what DH has told me about owning one as a kid and working on a dairy farm as a teen.

Now days unfortunately they use chemicals to make them produce more but DH said cows have to be milked on a regular schedule. That's why we don't have one now. They take a lot of time and care so if you own any mike cows vacations and such are out of the question.

I think PETA is a good thing but I really think they need to rethink this one :D

I don't know. I could see it happening in a small town for one restaurant, but to coordinate it for a mass produced commercial product, it would need to be done like in a commercial dairy:

1. Get all the women donating to live in close proximity so that the milk can be collected and stored properly

2. Feed all the women the same diet so their milk is consistent in quality and nutritive value

3. Unless you have an inexhaustible supply of women, smaller groups of women would need to be kept continually breeding in order to keep producing milk year after year.

Honestly, I can respect PETA's intentions, but they are some of the most ignorant bunch of people on this green earth!