Hey Marc,

Tony Baloni

I have been in 3 pursuits in my 18 1/2 years as a deputy. One got cancelled by my watch commander because it was "not a serious enough crime" (a stolen car) and the other two were after reckless drunks. They both crashed. The adrenaline rush is incredible, and it is very hard to control it, especially at the end of the pursuit and the suspect is no longer a threat.

As for the next question people usually ask me, no I have never shot anyone. I have been shot at once, but I was unable to see where the rounds were coming from, so I did not shoot back. I have come close to shooting people several times, the most recent being a guy who shot at some people at a party from a car. He did not see me parked up the street and was quit surprised to see me right behind him after he fired. I am glad he did not try to shoot it out with my partner and me. I have shot rubber projectiles at people as they were rioting when I worked the jail, and I have tased 2 people so I would not have to beat them with my baton.

Anything else you want to know? :laughing:

That does make sense. All but one of my pursuits were down in the LA basin. Now that I have been up in the hills for the last 11 years, my chances for a chase have gone down quite a bit. I guess it is because there are not a lot of options as to where one could go. Suits me fine.

I have an ex-cop friend that said the worst thing he could imagine was walking up to a car to write a simple ticket and end up being shot. Even worse he said was being put in a position to have to shoot someone.

That was over 20 years ago. He later became police chief and was happy to retire. I used to ride with him sometimes and I always remember him telling me that.

here in town just a couple of nights ago there was an incident where there was a home invasion, and the homeowner pulled a gun on the intruder, who also had a gun.

The cops show up, the wife tells them, "Look out! He's got a gun!" The cops see the husband holding a gun, and thinking that's the intruder, they shoot him. He was not wounded seriously and will make a full recovery... but jeez, what a situation.