Anti Virus Protection

MarcM

Yes, or an old Mac... :/

I know many people who download AVAST from the net and are very satisfied. It´s free. And it seems it works much better than McAfee, that threw a party in my husband´s PC and invited a bunch of viruses (though it´s an expensive anti-virus...)

Marc,

I've been using AVG for years, and it has been pretty good. I'm being prompted to upgrade to the newer version, but I'll hold off on that for a while. I've heard good things about Avira, which is another free anti virus program. Both my computers came with three years of Norton, which I dumped asap. Check cnet reviews for user opinions.

Yeah, but an old mac will be slow and crappy, and unable to run lots of programs.

Whereas linux is kept up to date, and runs lots of programs, a lot of the time faster and safer than windows or mac.

And I can venture anywhere on the interwebs and not worry about a thing.

For serious, Linux is the best virus protection.

scott,

Marc says he is using Windows XP, which he has purchased. He is supposed to erase it and replace it with Linux, a program that has a fairly sharp learning curve? I personally know a few IT people who swear by it, but I don't know whether a regular computer user is going to take the time to learn how to use it.

There are loads of different Linux builds

And Ubuntu, has absolutely no learning curve, it's all desktop base, and requires no computer language/programming.

XP might have been paid for, but it's a pile, and will more than likely be crushed by a virus, or used in a spybot network.

and you can dual boot, by partioning your harddrive and running xp on half and linux on the other, to experiment, and use windows programs you need.

Thank you friends. I will check out Avira, Avast, and AVG. I will also keep researching. My subscription to Norton 360 is almost up, and I am glad. My computer never ran the same after installing it. My computer is about 8 or 9 years old and when it finally dies, it will more than likely be replaced with a Mac.

As far as learning a whole new system, I am not looking forward to it, but the benefits should make it worth while.