do the category

scott

do it, discuss music, for reply after reply.

It seems to be lacking.

Tho, I am truly fascinated by the prospect of hearing everyone's top 10 cocaine songs.

Or their top ten favorite right handed bass players.

What about music do you enjoy, is it the melodies, the harmonies, clever scale modulations?

What is it about actual music, musicians, musicianship that brings you joy?

Or is it all about lists? Lists and faves.

Nice

A universal one, that connects all of us

I would disagree that not everyone can understand it, some people might just be 'closed' to it, but we all have the capability to understand.

But it's so great that you can sometimes 'hear' it, Tchaikovsky's phrases, the cries of Roma Gypsy music, it's great.

I love all sorts of music

cuz there's nothin'... I don't like

crisis or a boring shame?

but, out of the symphonies, the jazz, blues (authentic, not whiteguy) early Rockabilly, 60s stuff, psychedelic, and all that have you.

I mean, I really love all sorts of music. A lot.

My favorite, the one that 'speaks' to me the most, is well thought out, well written punk-rock.

something about the urgency, the speed, it's appealing.

Like today, I listened to the Dead Kennedy's discography, all the way thru, and the franticness of all of it, the American 'Hardcore' sound, but without the screaming, and the melodies that can't be heard

but with well spoken lyrics, and melodies right out there, but with a punch.

Perfect.

And then, all the post-hardcore stuff of the 90s, with that little bit of punk infused into it, Pavement, Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, I listen to them, and I dunno, it feels like it's... mine... ya know?

It's excellent! I heard Ladies and Gentlemen... the song when B-F nominated it for a Top Ten. Then I started hearing more and more of them as I explored shoegaze. Then I got the album and it is so good. It's more about strings and choir than reverb and wall of noise. Most of the songs have a build up to the end (eg. Ladies and Gentlemen..., I Think I'm in Love) and I love the lyrics (there's a hole in my arm where all the money goes). Proof of how good it is (to me) is in the last song - Cop Shoot Cop is 17 minutes long and at no point do I get bored or let it slip into the background.

:headphones:

Ahh, I was about to ask wtf shoegaze was, and then I saw Farin's post about Spiritualized.

You gotta listen to Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space through headphones (in the right state of mind, too).

Idk if you guys have ever heard of Lambchop, but check out a song called Life's Little Tragedy.

But yeah, I love how diferent genres represent different things. Like punk rock is musical rebellion, post rock is musical crying, funk is musical.....funk.

on that same note, Tim, I feel that writers can perhaps "get" words in songs better than those who do not write... i.e. people are constantly asking me why a writer used a certain word, because it doesn't make sense to them, etc., whereas those same words make worlds of sense to me and I understand perfectly why it was used.

Also, about music in general, I like the fact that it brings people together. Whether it's singing around a piano, or listening to an old tune, or enjoying a new band, you will always find allies and make friends from that shared experience.

At the risk of sounding like a snob, I'm going to make the claim that musicians can get more out of listening to music than non-musicians. That is, they can "hear" it better.

's funny you say that cos, when I learnt a few chords of the guitar and could suddenly play the intros to a few songs - I... didn't like it very much. The music lost some of its magic. It was like - 'oh pfft, even I can do that :rolleyes:'

You may be right on the appreciation scale, but in my case, not so much the enjoyment.

Edited by Guest
too much repetition