Somebody told me - The Killers (meaning)

Kate1969

It's a newer sone out right now by The Killers, it's called Somebody Told Me, and I'm a little confused about what it means ::. Any insight woul dbe greatly appreciated, here are the lyrics:

Breaking my back just to know your name

Seventeen tracks and I've had it with this game

I'm breaking my back just to know your name

But heaven ain't close in a place like this

Anything goes but don't blink you might miss

Cause heaven ain't close in a place like this

I said heaven ain't close in a place like this

Bring it back down, bring it back down tonight

Never thought I'd let a rumour ruin my moonlight

Well somebody told me

You had a boyfriend

Who looks like a girlfriend

That I had in February of last year

It's not confidential

I've got potential

Ready? Let's roll onto something new

Taking its toll and I'm leaving without you

Ready? Let's roll onto something new

But heaven ain't close in a place like this

Anything goes but don't blink you might miss

Cause heaven ain't close in a place like this

I said heaven ain't close in a place like this

Bring it back down, bring it back down tonight

Never thought I'd let a rumour ruin my moonlight

Well somebody told me

You had a boyfriend

It's not confidential

I've got potential

A rushin', a rushin' around

Pace yourself from me

I said maybe baby please

But I just don't know now

Somebody told me

You had a boyfriend

It's not confidential

I've got potential

A rushin', a rushin' around

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking the song is about a girl that this guy used to go out with and now she's dating another girl. Like he's saying she turned into a lesbian or something.

"She looked like a girlfriend that I had in febuary of last year"

saying that her boyfriend looked like a girl.... ::

• 3 weeks later...

i really think he doesnt know the girl, hes at like a club or something (thus the "heaven aint close in a place like this" and "rushin around", etc) and hes really into this girl, shes into him- then somebody told him she had a boyfriend, i think the "who looks like a gf" comment is just calling him effeminate, yeah, hes a pretty boy... then hes like hey well ive got potential... and etc he seems unable to make up his mind hes all poed that his happy dance was ruined with this knowledge, hes attracted to her, but i dont think he can decide what to do, thus the confusion...

well, i'm more or less confused about the chorus.

"somebody told me that you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend that i had in february of last year ..."

now...does he mean:

a. he dated a guy?

b. she's dating a girl?

c. his girlfriend looked like a guy?

d. her boyfriend looks like a girl?

if someone knows, tell me! email mewgaramon@adelphia.net.

:help:

I've passed two hours on these lyrics but finally i got it. He just discovered that the girl behind him has changed sex, and that's the the rumour that ruins his moonlight (and every man could understand him). "You had a boyfriend", because is actually talking with a girl, or a girl-like anyway, "that looked like a girlfriend that i had in february", it's not important who was that girl, the fact is that she had a girlfriend. Otherwise, if you are in a club and you discover that the girl you like is lesbian, do this create you some problem? And the theory about the fact that is ex-girlfriend became a man has no sense, and the time-fact (neither one year is passed) is in contrast with an operation that has longer times. In the end, the question is very simple, and every man feared, even for one night, that the girl he's approaching has/had some surprise....

Am I the only one then, who heard this song and thought "Hey, that's a catchy chorus"?

no, you're not. I was actually hanging out with some friends on a houseboat this past Sunday and that song was on the radio during a cd change, and about 5 or 6 of us spent a good 20 minutes talking about how it makes no sense but "D*mmit, it's catchy"

So you're not alone ::

I've always thought this song was about the girl he loved, and broke up with, and now a rumour goes to him that she's in the club with another guy, he gets jealous and CALLS the guy a girl...there for you get the "Someone told me" and the "you had a boyfreind" as well as the "who looked like a girlfreind"

This is the picture i get (i haven't seen the video yet): he is standing in a bar or club checking out this hot chick. at first he just want to know her name, but then there is a rumour: she likes girls or she is a he. i haven't worked out that one.. i think she likes girls and he likes that idea as well (potential).

The music video is plain and simple. The band is just outside singing their song. Its just the band and this blinky screen thing in the back for an effect.

Where is says "Breakin my back just to know your name. Seventeen tracks and I had it with this game. Im breakin my back just to know your name But everythings close in a place like this. Everything goes but dont blink you might miss" Well I think that part is about another girl he wants to meet.

Has anyone seen that Dentene gum commercial where the guy has a pack of Dentene gum and see's another girl and gives her the gum and his girl friend comes up behind him and he leaves the outside-restaurant, takes his gum and leaves? I have a theory that that guy is the lead singer of The Killers. He looks just like him. Well the Killers is my favorite band and that is my favorite song.