best decade for hip hop

Batman

This is a tough call for me...I mean, the 90's was undeniably the best decade for mainstream rap, but when I look at my list of my favorite rap albums, so many of them are from this decade. They just aren't appreciated the same way good rap was appreciated in the 90's. For instance, I'll take MF DOOM over Biggie any day, but the fact that Biggie was really popular in the 90's and MF DOOM is only respected by music nerds definitely says something. I'm not going to vote yet but I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

When I think hip-hop I think Kurtis Blow ( :bow: ), Run-D.M.C, Salt´n Peppa, Ice-T, LL Cool J, break-dance. D-Js...

Hip-hop was there in the mid seventies, as I can recall. The people I´ve mentioned were the ones that made it famous in the 80s... I didn´t follow them but I still associate hip-hop with the 80s.

the first four, five years of the 90s where some of the best years for music period, be it hip-hop or other music :)

on the other hand there have been very good hip-hop in the 80s and 00s too... just as their always has been bad ones

on that regard I absolutely agree with Tim :)

My first instinct is to automatically say the '80, because I was a homegirl and kicked it old school back in the day when it was still the new school. However, quite a lot of important and meaningful things have happened since my hey day. I'll have to think about it.

Until then, enjoy some 80s goodness...

The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five

Fight the Power - Public Enemy

Self Destruction - Stop the Violence

My Philosophy - Boogie Down Productions

Ladies First - Queen Latifah