Chumbawamba

Farin

I'm almost ashamed to say that I don't know much about them :blush: ;)

The only songs I have by them are "eBay" and of course the infamous "Tubthumping", I probably heard a few other songs as well, but I can't recall them now...

Nevertheless I have a distinct feeling that I could like them quite a bit :)

So, does anybody have any recommendations, albums, songs, etc with what I could and should start?

Thanks in advance :)

Give me time, mate, and I can tell you more than you want to know. I used to know them quite well, as people, as well as being a fan of the band and procuring their records. (I also have two Chumbas T-shirts and a long-sleeved "Chumbawamba / Credit To The Nation" top) My band supported them a few times, but I knew them socially (in a small way) before that (it's a long story). I've been interviewed by Chumba vocalist Alice Nutter, had Dunstan ("Tubthumping" vocalist) call round quite a number of times for a cuppa and a chat (my lodger borrowed a sum of money off him to buy drugs), attended the wedding party of the former bass-player Mave and sound technician Cobie (after whom my daughter is named), and more recently, met Danbert Nobacon again, whilst swimming at the local pool.

I suppose what you really want to know is : which albums, tracks to listen to, etc. Leave it with me, and I'll be in touch with more useful info.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a band NERVE RACK: we had just released our first album "Gnaw" (1990) and it was mooted that we submit an interview to Maximum Rock'n'Roll (internationally-acclaimed punk / hardcore fanzine), since that mag had posted a very positive review of the album. We (Nerve Rack) had previously encountered Alice Nutter (tho' I will always think of her as Ann...), when she had written a favourable review of one of our early live shows, (before we had released any records). I can't remember much about that review except that she used the adjective "epileptic" to describe my guitar-style. Prior to that, although I had met a couple of Chumbas individually, I did not know the whole band (as I later would through gigs supporting them), and had not met Alice / Ann before. Anyway, it seemed ideal; we needed an interviewer, we didn't really know her, as such- only to say "Hello!" to- but we knew that she liked our band. The fact that she was slightly famous (in "alternative / punk" circles) was a bonus, and increased the likelihood of publication. I don't believe that interview was ever used, though. Shameful waste. It went very well. The only sticky bit was that I confessed to having recently enjoyed reading "The Dice Man" (Luke Reinhardt), which begins with the rather unsavoury scene of a half-drunk Reinhardt deciding, upon the roll of a dice, to rape his friend's wife. This stimulated an interesting philosophical discussion about artistic responsibility and such.

Throughout my acquintance with Alice Nutter (ultimately spanning several years), I always found her to be really positive, down-to-earth, sussed and all-round cool person, with a lively wit and intelligence. (Between you me and, potentially, the entire population of the internet, it's perhaps fair to say I developed a harmless crush on her. :blush: )

Since retiring from Chumbawamba, (who continue to release and tour new material with a revised line-up: new album due out imminently, so I'm told), Alice has turned her talents to the written word, as a playwright and script-writer for TV drama "The Street". Doing very well, by all accounts.