Police: Man blames bad driving on spilled beer

Mike

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A man with four previous drunken driving convictions who was stopped for weaving in and out of traffic on Interstate 40 was ready with an excuse for his poor driving: his passenger spilled his beer.

Not surprisingly, the man was arrested just before midnight Saturday, said state police officer Kurtis Ward, who said he initially thought the driver was joking.

"He was so matter of fact about it, like it wasn't a big deal," Ward said.

The 31-year-old man was allegedly too drunk to perform field sobriety tests and was arrested on aggravated drunken driving charges, court records said.

Ward found four opened bottles of beer in the car, court records showed.

It was the man's sixth DWI arrest. He had been found guilty of four of five previous drunken driving charges and has paid $1,750 in fines, the DWI Resource Center said.

Copyright © 2008 AP

6 month suspension for the first offense in Canada , providing no accident injuring people was involved ; a fine as well and probation for 5 years . If you are caught again within the next 2 years , it's a 5 year suspension . After the 2 year period it is a 2 year suspension , 5 more years probation and now risking a lifetime suspension ,unless it's been changed again .

Edited by Guest

sUSPENSION MEANS NOTHING. i CANT TELL YOU HOW MANNY PEOPLE i HAVE PULLED OVER WHO ARE DRIVING ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE OR UNLICENSED ALL TOGETHER. i ALWAYS TAKE THEIR CAR FROM THEM FOR 30 DAYS. i KNOW THEY WONT GET MUCH JAIL TIME, IF ANY, SO AT LEAST THEY HAVE TO WALK FOR A WHILE AND GET A LICENSE IF THEY WANT THEIR CAR BACK.

Fair enough . But we think it fair to give people a warning that may not be life altering , but a taste of what they are in for if they keep it up first. I don't recommend or suggest this for the US or CA , even- hell you have more people there than we do in 20x your space ... drive straight North and you'd have to try to have an accident with someone else .