Digital Storage Devices Replacing CD's Soon?

soulful112

There is an interesting discussion on Steve Rifkinds blog talking about digital storage devices.. I haven't thought about it much until they brought it up. Its interesting to see that cd's are now being replaced with thumb drives and i pods... People are going to just plug whatever storage device they've got into whatever will play it. Do you think demo's will be in a digital storage device to pass out now?

http://blogs.loud.com/stevesblog/2008/08/26/blog-5/

Edited by Guest

I use an external 600 gig hard drive to dump my music to and I download whatever I want to listen to in my autos to either an mp3 or thumb drive. Those either plug in to the car stereos and/or connect wireless to the stereo.

Here's an example: http://www.shoptronics.com/baqmp3tofmra.html

A while back, there was a security problem in Iraq. The native cleaning staff was taking thumb drives, etc, and they could be found at the local flea market within a few hours. Connect that little incident with a story about a number of virus-carrying portable recording drives that was eventually sorted out. Add a tale of malware being spread via botnets, migrating to portable recording/storage devices, and things start to look less like digital Eden than digital Deadwood City. I have considered thumbdrives, and my tech friend used his a while back to pick up a large software update file off my system. (I have broadband access, he doesn't.) As for wireless, I remember reading a long-ago article about the FBI getting the goods on a Mafia don by tapping his portable (pre-cell phone era!) conversations with his soldiers. Use technology with care; Ivan the Terrible Russian Mafia boss may add you to his link of foolish American puppets in his less-than-legal independent enterprise. One final thing: Wireless requires a powered receiver, which requires a battery, which may prove a kind of trap should a tornado take out your local power grid for a few weeks. Increasing complexity also isn't exactly Green, now is it? But what do I know? After all, Hawaii is an island state, far from aid, which was underscored when an earthquake knocked out power long enough to exhaust the batteries powering cell phone towers. Some radio and TV stations had on site generators, but not everyone had a battery-powered TV handy. The local telephone company continues to run an ad featuring a 911 call placed by a VOI customer after this earthquake. (Silence, of course) Landlines may not be sexy/cutting edge, but they still work during a local power outage. Yes, I have hand crank-charging flashlights and a supply of commonly needed batteries, too. End of trailing-edge tech rant. :soapbox:

as if they would put more music / longer albums when they're selling it on USB sticks ;)

but I get what you're trying to say, soulful, and I agree that sooner or later CDs are becoming obsolete, that's only natural in this parts of high tech...

the same happened with LPs, 8-tracks, MCs and it will continue to happen with USB mass storage devices as soon as something better, faster, etc is found :)

A few years ago, it became standard for anyone who works with computers in a corporate environment to wear a thumb drive around their neck. As Otokichi points out, it just takes one good virus to infect a network before this becomes far less practical.