Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Mike

McCain and Palin once again play 'Barracuda'

LEBANON, Ohio (CNN) – The rock band "Heart" may have asked John McCain and Sarah Palin stop playing their song "Barracuda" at their rallies, but the campaign is apparently paying no heed.

The track — played at the Republican National Convention in honor of the Vice Presidential nominee, who earned the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" playing high school basketball in Alaska — was pumped through the streets of Lebanon, Ohio on Tuesday morning at an outdoor rally before the GOP ticket showed up.

Earlier: Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

When the song was played after Palin's convention speech last week, the band members quickly requested that McCain and Palin pull the plug.

"Sarah Palin's views and values in no way represent us as American women," Ann and Nancy Wilson told Entertainment Weekly. "We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image."

But the McCain camp said last week that it had paid for and obtained all necessary licenses before using the song.

Usage at the 2008 Republican National Convention

"Barracuda" was played at the 2008 Republican National Convention in reference to McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, who was known as "Sarah Barracuda" as a high school basketball star. The Wilson sisters disapproved, claiming that they disagreed with Palin's politics,[4] and sent a cease-and-desist letter to John McCain's campaign. [5]

In an appearance on a Seattle talk show, song co-writer and lead guitarist Roger Fisher announced he was "thrilled" with the RNC's use of the song, because it both resulted in royalties for the band and gave them an opportunity to publicly point out that he, the Wilson sisters, and fellow bandmate Michael DeRosier are "staunch" supporters of Barack Obama.[6] DeRosier, lead drummer on the recording and song co-writer, also supports the use of the song by the RNC.[7] Even after the Wilsons expressed their desire that McCain stop using their song, the McCain campaign continued using it, noting that they were paying all licensing fees.[8]

Ironically , the song is about corrupt record company executives who took advantage of the band . That shouldn't hurt their apparent thoughts toward the GOP .

I agree with Bazooka that they have a right to state that they don't endorse it's use by the Republicans , but I feel Steel is right in stating that if the proper royalties have been paid, etc. there isn't much to do now- especially yet another frivolous lawsuit .

It is and sales for it peaked years ago...now there is an opportunity to sell albums to a whole new generation of young people and/or people who never bought a Heart album before.

BTW, I'm not saying that using the song isn't a conflict with the beliefs of the Wilson sisters. But I've been in the sales and marketing world my entire career and this is not going to hurt the sales of Heart albums at all...it can only help. Maybe a coincidental byproduct of Heart's protest, but a lucrative byproduct.