Guns and the 2nd Ammendment

Mike

Tim hon, I totally respect your opinion, but you do realize that it is your opinion right? Just as you have the right to yours, others that feel differently have the right to theirs' as well. Sort of live and let live? I think that was the point of a seperate thread.

I'm honestly not trying to be a smarta$$ here, and apologize if it comes off that way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The danger is when a person is totally adamant about their own claims.

When guns are outlawed the only ones that will have them is outlaws.

It's far better to have a gun and never need it than to need a gun and not have it.

I could go on and on but hopefully the few words I try to share will sink in to some.

I'm not sure you understood my point. This isn't just some personal thing against YOU having a gun. I don't want ANYONE to have a gun. When the 2nd amendment was made, the best gun was the musket, and we were a subsistence country. Now that technology has vastly improved and we're a post-industrial society, guns are not necessary and are nothing but a danger.

I would agree. But, what you are suggesting is impossible. Let's take alcohol for example, it was made illegal. It continued to exists. The difference was you now had to "become" a criminal to possess it. This caused sickness and death because people manufactured it incorrectly.

Abortion used to be illegal, so women would use a coat hanger, fall down a flight of stairs, get a non-licensed (butcher) physician to perform it illegally. Currently meth and crack are illegal, so meth labs kill people because inexperience meet demand. Laws are a tricky thing. You can do more harm than good enforcing them.

The 2nd amendment was created to assure every law abiding citizens right to own, carry and display a gun. Period. Do you think the framers of the constitution thought this "could be challenged" of course.

Remember this...

Hitler outlawed Guns in 1938.

Why do you suppose he did that?

The danger is when a person is totally adamant about their own claims.

When guns are outlawed the only ones that will have them is outlaws.

It's far better to have a gun and never need it than to need a gun and not have it.

I could go on and on but hopefully the few words I try to share will sink in to some.

^^^ Excellent point!

Oh dear, I wasn't going to post to this but...as you all know, I am 74 years young. I live alone so it is up to me to do the best job I can to protect myself. I own a gun, I know how to use it and it is where I can easily get to it. I am quite sure that by the time I call 911 and the arrival of help, if I didn't have the means to protect myself, it would be to late. If it comes down to my life or the bad guys, I would consider mine more important. I would hate to have to shoot anyone but if they are trying to harm me, I have no doubt that I could shoot. I would be dialing 911 but that gun would be in my hand. Can only pray that that will never happen. Fortunately, I consider my neighborhood quite safe and my neighbors are aware of what goes on.

I competely understand and respect that karma. When we lived in the country we kept a handgun as well as several shotguns and rifles. We were not irresponsible gun owners in anyway.

Truthfully, I pity the fool that messes with you anyhow, cause I'm quite sure you do know exactly what you're doing. ;)

I have been around guns all of my life. My family are hunters from way back because it was a way of survival. The rule in hunting situations, don't kill what you can't eat. I learned about guns at a very early age. I am not an aggresive person but I do think it is important not to cringe away and therefore become a victim. I respect everyones choice as to whether they have guns or not. For me it is a personal choice but it isn't necessarily right for everyone.

Tim hon, I totally respect your opinion, but you do realize that it is your opinion right? Just as you have the right to yours, others that feel differently have the right to theirs' as well. Sort of live and let live? I think that was the point of a seperate thread.

I'm honestly not trying to be a smarta$$ here, and apologize if it comes off that way.

I know it's just my opinion (which is always right, he said sardonically), and I honestly don't expect to change anybody's mind. But as this thread was created for the discussion of guns, I decided to discuss, and my viewpoint is contrary to the majority of those posting here. However, I'm done posting here. Carry on.

Sorry Tim, it wasn't my intent to come across like a B, which I did. Just an acknowledgement that there are 2 very different viewpoints here I think, is what I was seeking, and that one that differs from yours is just that, different, not necessarily wrong. None of us here are thugs.

I hope that came across a bit better. ;)

Hey Karma, that's great that's you are prepared.

I don't know if you saw this post of mine in the news thread RIGHT HERE .

We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists.

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’

mIKEY, i HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS AND BAD THINGS ABOUT tAURUS, SO BE CAREFUL. iF i WAS GETTING A 9MM, i WOULD PROBABLY GO FOR A sIG p226. tHEY ARE EXPENSIVE THOUGH, SO IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY, i WOULD LOOK AT THE bERETTA 92f, tHE h&k usp 9MM OR p2000, OR EVEN gLOCK. iF i COULD FIND A RETIRED gERMAN POLICE sIG p6. tHEY ARE USUALLY WELL CARED FOR, DONT HAVE TOO MANY ROUNDS THROUGH THEM AND ARE CHEAP!

I appreciate the heads up Marc, yes been reading a lot about them (as I do with many interests of mine) and there has been some reports of jamming with the 24/7 .45ACP, but also a lot of praise. The think just fits so well in my hand, light-weight, good balance. I don't rush into these things, and my .357 is still a sweet gun. With a menacing look with it's 8" barrel.

i HAVE TRIED ARCHERY A FEW TIMES AND IT IS DEFINITELY A LOT MORE DIFFICULT TO GET OFF A GOOD SHOT.

mICKY, i AM SURE THERE ARE SOME GOOD tARUSES OUT THERE, BUT i DONT KNOW IF i WOULD TRUST THEM WITH MY LIFE. tHERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD PISTOLS OUT THERE TO CHECK OUT. dONT FORGET, YOU CAN ALSO SHANGE THE GRIPS TO BETTER FIT YOUR HAND. iF THE tAURUS FEELS TOO GOOD TO PASS UP, THEN GO FOR IT. tHEY ARE BETTER NOW THEN THEY WERE A FEW YEARS BACK, BUT i AM STILL LEARY.

i HAVE TRIED ARCHERY A FEW TIMES AND IT IS DEFINITELY A LOT MORE DIFFICULT TO GET OFF A GOOD SHOT.

mICKY, i AM SURE THERE ARE SOME GOOD tARUSES OUT THERE, BUT i DONT KNOW IF i WOULD TRUST THEM WITH MY LIFE. tHERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD PISTOLS OUT THERE TO CHECK OUT. dONT FORGET, YOU CAN ALSO SHANGE THE GRIPS TO BETTER FIT YOUR HAND. iF THE tAURUS FEELS TOO GOOD TO PASS UP, THEN GO FOR IT. tHEY ARE BETTER NOW THEN THEY WERE A FEW YEARS BACK, BUT i AM STILL LEARY.

iNTERESTING READING. http://www.tacapp.com/?p=8

tHERE SEEMS TO BE MIXED OPINIONS ON THE 24/7, BUT THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED, i GUESS. tAURUS MUST BE GETTING BETTER, BUT TO ME, THEY WILL ALWAYS BE THE hYUNDAI OR kIA OF GUNS! i GUESS i AM A BIT OF A GUN SNOB....tAURUS'S FIREARMS ALL LOOK LIKE COPIES OF OTHER COMPANIES GUNS TO ME. tHATS ok, IF THE PRODUCT IS GOOD AND IS RELIABLE. i HOPE THAT IF YOU GET IT, THE 24/7 WORKS GREAT FOR YOU :thumbsup:

What situation do you envision where we would suddenly need more than the trained armed forces and national guard we already have? If a nation wants to obliterate us, they're not going to use soldiers, they're going to use nukes.

If the govt. gets to the point where they'd use nukes on their own citizens, then there's more reason to be armed to the teeth and take out as many of them as possible. That kind of govt. is not worth living in.

Hopefully , if such a scenario occurred , the soldiers ( especially officers ) in charge of carrying out those orders would deem them 'unlawful' and refuse to carry them out as well as participate in efforts to oust said rogue government . That is part of their oath and duty as soldiers as well as citizens . I wouldn't worry about this at all , though it could be an interesting novel or screenplay .

:D

Hopefully , if such a scenario occurred , the soldiers ( especially officers ) in charge of carrying out those orders would deem them 'unlawful' and refuse to carry them out as well as participate in efforts to oust said rogue government . That is part of their oath and duty as soldiers as well as citizens . I wouldn't worry about this at all , though it could be an interesting novel or screenplay .

:D

You would think, but this is similar to what happened with Iraq's northern Kurd population... no need for fiction, reality is better :beatnik:

• 2 weeks later...

Obama, if elected will probably aim toward the banning of all hand guns. He has already waffled on his position of gun control. First he said he was for banning all semi-automatic guns, then he said all hand guns, then he buddied up with Pennsylvania voters saying he was on the side of hunters and sportsmen (nice save, considering 12% of Penn state are hunters)