The Cool Kids

Batman

• 1 month later...

I'll go ahead and assume you are talking about me. :shades:

I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it. I listened and like them very much, especially '88. I'm also digging on I'm Mikey.

So how was the concert?

It was awesome. Del did a really good mix between his established hits and his new stuff. He ended the show with a freestyle to Clint Eastwood. And the Cool Kids were just...cool! No better way to put it I guess.

I don't need to listen to something which has been compared to 90s wanksta rap. I've already said numerous times that 90s wanksta rap is the bottom of the totem pole of rap music. Had he said, "Hey, teh cool kids sound like Kool Mo Dee, Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five, etc.," I'd care... because, you know, that Rap doesn't suck.

1. Better beat.

2. Better beat.

3. Lyrics actually possessed a message.

4. Better beat.

5. The beats in 80s Rap and Hip Hop are so much better, it's the kind of music one could even dance to.

Nothing 2-pac ever made could get anyone on the dancefloor for fun. It's pure, absolute wankery. Pants. The music? What music? It's wack. It sounds like s**t. It's boring. It's a snoozefest. It's not fun to listen to; it bears no weight on the conscience of society and Pop culture other than being annoying; it's got a terrible style (right down to the crapped-pants fashion). The only - and I mean THE ONLY - Gangsta Rap album I dig (and loved from the first time I heard it) is NWA's Straight Outta Compton, but Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, 2pac? Out of the question. I have listened some of their albums to be able to form a general overview that wanksta rap blows. If I wanted to stick to misogynistic crappy music with no redeeming value, I'd listen to... oh, wait a minute, I DON'T listen to music that sucks :beatnik:

Lyrics that actually possessed a message? What? Of course there are some exceptions but the lyrics to 80's rap were so unimportant compared to the beat. I mean, I love 'The Message,' but "broken glass everywhere people pissing on the stairs you know they just don't care" isn't exactly lyrical genius. Not saying Dre or Snoop are lyrical geniuses either, it just seems like a stupid argument. And Dr Dre's "The Chronic" has some of the sickest beats ever put on record, I don't know what you're talking about.

At least we can agree on Straight Outta Compton, that's a good fuckin record. And for what it's worth, that's the album I had more in mind when I was comparing the Cool Kids to gangsta rap. You might want to check out their song, 88.

Nothing will ever come close to Straight Outta Compton. Nothing. That was a one-off hit album in the genre because everything else got exponentially worse. The beats got slower and sloooower - it's as if they're not even trying anymore. The Chronic has "sick" beats? Hahaha. Which song in particular? The songs sound slow; it's basically proto-puffdaddy "yeahyeah-uh-uh" and waving-their-arms-like-orangutans kind of fare. Oddly enough, it's one of the instances where repetitiveness doesn't work. Booooooring. This is the same guy responsible for the crappy, jerky beats in enemanem's songs. Alright, so 80s Rap lyrics aren't something to rave about and I was mainly thinking of the exceptions, but I can't think of any wanksta rap breakthrough hit that had an idea or a message to go with it - even if the lyrics were to be considered doggerel under more scrutiny

I also realise Guns 'N Roses used to Rock and David Bowie made "Tin Machine."

Ya got me there on "Changes." At first, I was horrified at the Bruce Hornsby sample. The song grew on me and its usage is comparable to P.M. Dawn's sampling of Spandau Ballet. It makes me wonder why Rap took a downturn to slow, crappy music.