Gustav Makes Landfall

Lucky

Bay News 9) 11:00 a.m. -- Gustav made landfall about 70 mph southwest of New Orleans, near Cocodrie, La.

The storm's outer bands had been battering the nearly-deserted Gulf Coast since early Monday morning.

Gustav came ashore in Port Fourchon, an area packed with oil terminals and distribution facilities. CNN reports that 56 percent of the oil imported from the rest of the world and extracted from the Gulf of Mexico passes through Port Fourchon.

The 10 a.m. storm advisory shows the hurricane has been reduced to a Category 2, with maximum sustained winds of 110 mph with higher gusts. The center of the storm was located about 70 miles southeast of New Orleans, at latitude 29.2 N, longitude 90.8 W. Gustav is moving to the northwest at almost 15 mph. The storm is expected to continue to move at this speed in the same direction, and then make a gradual turn to the north-northwest on Tuesday.

Gustav's hurricane force winds extend 70 miles from the center. The tropical storm force winds can be found up to 230 miles from the eye of the storm.

More Information

Gustav Monday morning update

Gustav in New Orleans

Gustav in Metairie, La.

Slideshow of Gustav's impact

Track Gustav

Hurricane resources

Tropical Update

The Tropical Update page has real-time satellite images and wind flows from the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.

Bay News 9 meteorologist Josh Linker said the areas to the east of landfall - including New Orleans - can expect to see a storm surge of between 10 and 14 feet.

The storm should continue to only have minor effects on the Bay area.

Occasional winds and rains will continue to pass through the Bay area, but will be limited as Gustav is pushing further away from the area.

Boating conditions will continue to be poor as Gustav stirs in the Gulf. People are also encouraged to stay out of the water.

The tropical storm warning has been issued for the area between the Mississippi/Alabama border and the Alabama/Florida border.

A hurricane warning remains in effect for the area between High Island, Texas, and the Mississipp/Alabama border. The affected area includes New Orleans and Lake Ponchartrain.

A tropical storm warning has been canceled along the Panhandle of Florida from east of the Alabama-Florida border east to the Ochlockonee River.

Gustav has already left a trail of damage in its wake. The storm blew through the western tip of the island Saturday, and the Associated Press reports that damage to the area appears to be extensive. Gustav is blamed for the deaths of more than 80 people in the Caribbean.

In the United States, the death toll due to Gustav stands at four. The Associated Press reports that four evacuees were killed and two injured in an early-morning car accident in Georgia.

Source

I felt Katrina in a very personal way, since I have family in Pearl River LA (St Tammany Parish). Although my aunt has passed, my cousins are still there, and I'm terribly insulted and worried that Gustav has decided to hit them again.