Rated X-Files Duchovny in Sex Addiction Clinic

RonJonSurfer

David Duchovny in Sex Addiction Treatment

Duchovny has been married since 1997 to actress Tea Leoni, with whom he has a 9-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "X-Files" star David Duchovny, who currently plays a womanizing writer on the cable television series "Californication," said on Thursday he has entered a facility for treatment of sex addiction.

Duchovny, 48, sprang to fame starring as the conspiracy-minded FBI agent Fox Mulder on Fox network's paranormal thriller "The X-Files," which spawned two big-screen spinoffs, one of which ran in theaters this summer.

He has been married since 1997 to actress Tea Leoni, with whom he has a 9-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son.

"I have voluntarily entered a facility for the treatment of sex addiction," he said in a statement released through his lawyer, Stanton "Larry" Stein. "I ask for respect and privacy for my wife and children as we deal with this situation as a family."

There were no further details in the statement, which was first reported on the Web site of People magazine, people.com.

In January, he won a Golden Globe Award as best comic actor for playing an oversexed single dad and novelist struggling with writer's block in the Showtime series "Californication."

Copyright 2008 Reuters.

Copyright © 2003-2008 Clear Channel. All rights reserved.

"Californication" "sex addiction" "sprang to fame" "spawned"

Coincidental use of tawdry words? I think not.

How can someone have a sex addiction? Of all the addictions I've heard of, this one strikes me as the oddest. Honestly, how does one become addicted? Again, not trying to be a smart a** here... I'm genuinely baffled by this.

• 3 weeks later...