Stewart/Colbert Viewers Are Smarter

TheLizard

The overwhelming majority of people who watch cable and broadcast newscasts and topical variety shows are unable to identify the party that now controls Congress, name the current secretary of state, and name Britain's new prime minister, according to the new Pew Survey on News Consumption. The national average for answering those three questions is only 18 percent, the study found; only 10 percent among viewers of the CBS Evening News With Katie Couric, by far the lowest ranked among the nightly news programs. The survey said that 21 percent of the viewers of NBC Nightly News With Brian Williams could answer the questions; 19 percent of the viewers of ABC World News with Charles Gibson could. Ranking higher than any of the nightly newscasts, however, were Comedy Central's The Colbert Report and The Daily Show with 34 percent and 30 percent respectively.

This doesn't necessarily mean watching Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert makes you smart(er)... it could mean that smart(er) people watch their shows. And yes... people are more likely to actively follow comedy news shows ( = :laughing:) than actual news (= :sleepy:).

... which means that people are attention deficit morons , more likely than not , as far as news goes . :DBut , personally , I blame it on the lack of history education that most of you have . Admit it : you hated history and payed half-as*sed attentton to it . Thus we are reaping what you've sown ...

Edited by Guest

... which means that people are attention deficit morons , more likely than not . :D

Of course! This is the instant information age. You gots to hold people's attention if you want them to listen. With the internet and a zillion competing stations on cable, people's attention spans are almost non-existent.

Exactly. We have 'news' station in India that relies on scandal - completely artificial scandal - to get viewers. It is a laughing stock, but a laughing stock with money because people tune in to laugh at it.

Last I heard they ran a story on aliens abducting cows in India. With footage :stars: :doh:

Exactly. We have 'news' station in India that relies on scandal - completely artificial scandal - to get viewers. It is a laughing stock, but a laughing stock with money because people tune in to laugh at it.

Last I heard they ran a story on aliens abducting cows in India. With footage :stars: :doh:

What are you blathering about now ...?!?! A random and impermanent internet news flash - again ?! :D

My take on this, outside of my Colbert fever, is that I would rather watch Stewart/Colbert for news than CNN. I lost faith in/respect for CNN when they reported Britney's Spears' first pregnancy every ten minutes like she was the first woman ever to be pregnant. I'd rather hear about importnant things like the war, the ecomony, rather than hear about a backwoods breeding.

Stewart and Colbert use satire and irony to shine a light on what is really happening. They are entertaining, true, but they are intelligent and informed themselves. And handsome.

Ten Pea said:

I would rather watch Stewart/Colbert for news than CNN. I lost faith in/respect for CNN when they reported Britney's Spears' first pregnancy every ten minutes like she was the first woman ever to be pregnant.

Of course, if you're gonna watch CNN for news you really must sit on the right side of the sofa. And I do mean "right".

[smaller]]Not that there's anything wrong with that. I suppose.[smaller]

Of course, if you're gonna watch CNN for news you really must sit on the right side of the sofa. And I do mean "right"

Huh?

Am I missing something? "Fair and balanced" FOX News has a lock on everything Right and to the Right of Right.

MSNBC wants to tip things Left, but does only a slightly better job of disguising their druthers.

Not at all . CNN has shown Democratic bias since the primaries began and long before , as well . They love Obama . Ted Turner is a center-lefty , and his influence prevails.

Just why they won't run 'Barbarella' occasionally when there isn't any news to report is beyond me ... ;)

... which means that people are attention deficit morons , more likely than not , as far as news goes . :DBut , personally , I blame it on the lack of history education that most of you have . Admit it : you hated history and payed half-as*sed attentton to it . Thus we are reaping what you've sown ...

Hold on...you're saying this to young people right? How are we reaping what we've sown? The people my age have been politically involved for 0-3 years and haven't had any affect on the political landscape, while adults have been screwing things up for 20+ years. I think it would be more accurate for someone my age to say we are reaping what you've sown.

As far as the Daily Show, the point is to parody actual news shows, so if you don't watch any actual news shows it's not nearly as funny. Watching the Daily Show without watching traditional news is like watching Austin Powers without watching 60's spy movies.

Hold on...you're saying this to young people right? How are we reaping what we've sown? The people my age have been politically involved for 0-3 years and haven't had any affect on the political landscape, while adults have been screwing things up for 20+ years. I think it would be more accurate for someone my age to say we are reaping what you've sown.

And therein lies your lesson. I hope you've learned it well and do not repeat our mistakes.