The Sunday Morning Classics Show

Lucky

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alone Again Or -- Love. Arthur Lee’s band seems somehow to have become invisible to Classic Rock radio.

• Are You Gonna Be There . by the ill-fated Stones clones The Chocolate Watchband

• I came up YouTubeless for The Sons Of Champlin. Little-known outside of the San Francisco Bay Area, singer/songwriter guitarist/keyboard player Bill Champlin founded this horn-powered group in 1966. Loosen Up Naturally was their tour de force debut album ( Freedom and Get High are classic tracks).
    They are often compared to Chicago (Transit Authority), but I'd say The Sons are like Chicago kicked up a couple notches. Interestingly, Bill Champlin became a full-fledged member of Chicago in 1981.

• Leaving Trunk -- Keef Hartley Band. You'll be lucky in a couple of ways if you can find first few albums by this group. On vinyl or import CD, they are rare and pricey, but the music is an incomparable energized jazz-colored Blues.
    Hartley was drummer with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers during the late 60s Mick Taylor-on-guitar period. When Mayall created a drumless acoustic band, Keef got "sacked" without prejudice. Hartley painstakingly put together his own band of top-notch musicians (vocals: Miller Anderson) and turned out the albums Halfbreed (highly recommended), The Battle Of North West Six, and The Time Is Near.
    The Keef Hartley Band played at Woodstock, although they don't turn up in the soundtrack, movie or extended video edition.

• Feelings -- The Grass Roots. This clip is sullied by the interjection of Doris Day et al, but you'll get the 'feeling' of the song. The Grass Roots, of course, had a number of hits -- don't know why this wasn't one.

We got to hear a lot of Quicksilver on the old WMMR underground progressive rock station in Philly. Especially this one... Fresh Air

You guys who have been on SF for a few years ahve heard me speak of Joy Of Cooking They were a SF Bay area band that really rocked the blues. They also received tons of airplay on 'MMR. The pickings are slim on Youtube but this was the first song I ever heard by them and it hooked me...

Brownsville/Mockingbird-1970

Here's another by them... Don't the Moon Look Fat and Lonesome

And one more... All Around the Sun and the Moon

We got to hear a lot of Quicksilver on the old WMMR underground progressive rock station in Philly. Especially this one... Fresh Air

Oh my! I particularly dislike Fresh Air.

I feel like Dino Valenti was the ruin of Quicksilver.

I explained in a post.. way back when.. elsewhere on Songfacts:

music writer Richie Unterberger[/smaller]]In the late 1960s, Quicksilver Messenger Service occupied an unusual position in the pantheon of major San Francisco Bay Area psychedelic bands. Not that most of those acts weren't unusual, even in relation to each other. Part of what set Quicksilver apart from their peers, though, was that they were not so much singer-songwriters as they were virtuoso players and creative interpreters and stylists. They were not the greatest of vocalists or composers, although they did pen some sturdy folk-rock tunes. Their strengths lay in the ziplocked tightness of their playing and arrangements; their ability to whip up a psychedelic brew from a diverse pool of sources encompassing folk, blues, improvisational jazz, and even Spanish and classical guitar; and their inventive rearrangements of unexpected, even left-field, blues, R&B, folk, and jazz classics.

Leading the way was the inimitable, immediately identifiable quaver of John Cipollina's sustain-fueled lead guitar. He was complemented by the support of Gary Duncan, less a rhythm guitarist than a repository of resourceful counterpoint riffs of his own, and one of the most skilled and underrated second guitarists in rock history. Together with the rhythm section of David Freiberg on bass and Greg Elmore on drums, they comprised the Quicksilver lineup that played on the band's first two Capitol albums ... that, by virtual consensus, represent the best work that any configuration of Quicksilver released.

They were most innovative ... when Cipollina and Duncan wove their guitars together in some of the finest psychedelic rock ever laid down, and the band managed to take some of the best elements from an array of disparate influences to create something new and intoxicating.

Later, keyboard god Nicky Hopkins joined (listen to Edward The Mad Shirt Grinder on Quicksilver's Shady Grove album), but after Cipollina departed and screeching vocalist Dino Valenti took center stage, the group was doomed. Valenti (Chester Powers) might have been an original member except for his drug bust and time in jail. Dino's Song (I Don't Want to Spoil Your Party) is included on the first album -- without Dino. He also wrote the Youngbloods classic Get Together. I prefer his songwriting to his singing.

This song got lot's of airplay in Los Angeles.

Now... Seven & Seven Is by Love didn't get much airplay when I was growing up.

I guess that was my point. Love's 'hits' were pretty regularly heard on radio back then*, but I never (seriously never) have heard any Love in the rotation on today's 'Classic Rock' format stations.

*[smaller] at least on the West Coast.[/smaller]

I definately think that "Love" must have been a west coast thing. Or maybe a coastal thing. I'm close enough in age that I should know them, or at least have heard them, but I haven't ever. I've realized that in the midwest our music was definately somewhat different. There are some songs that I consider so classic, and they are completely unknown to most of you.

Hot Summer Nights - Night

5-7-0-5 - City Boy

Deja Vu All Over Again - John Fogerty

Boom Like That - Mark Knopfler

King Of Hollywood - The Eagles

All of these songs received some FM radio play locally, but I don't think any one of them was a "hit". Perhaps 5-7-0-5 was a hit in Britain, but I only heard it once on FM radio here. I loved it, by the way, and became a big fan of City Boy.

I do!! :o Great sound !! :thumbsup:

Here's a regional classic from the Midwest. I've mentioned it many times, but never had a decent clip to post. So, I made one.

These guys have been called country rock's answer to Steely Dan. Jackie Blue was their only big hit. But this is the song that we know & love 'em for back home.

Chicken Train ~ Ozark Mountain Daredevils

this one too:

Standing On The Rock (waitin' for my seeds to grow)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good thread, Lucky. I get to listen to KSHE every day and look forward to John Ulett's KSHE Classics show.

Some of my favorites:

Never Met a Dog--Vinegar Joe

Love Robert Palmer's vocals here.

Megaforce--707

The Last Illusion--JF Murphy and Salt

Take Me to the Kaptin--Prism

Tomorrow Night--Shoes

Did You See Him Cry--Pavlov's Dog

Of a Lifetime--Journey

From their first album. It's Journey like you never hear Journey.

East of Eden's Gate--Billy Thorpe

This was a follow up to "Children of the Sun," but in my mind, much, much better.

Gudbuy T' Jane--Slade

Small Paradise--John Mellencamp

And a little "new wavier" but I like

Downstream--The Rainmakers

Finally, a forgotten hit by the Kinks

Living on a Thin Line

and one of the Midwest's best regional acts

Tonight--Shooting Star