The Sunday Morning Classics Show

Lucky

An old idea stolen from Classic Rock Radio. A place for those forgotten rock classics. A lot of these are sprinkled around SF. Let's put them in one place:

*There are two main rules in order to qualify for the list:

**The album/song must be at least 20 years old or more.

**The song must NOT have been widely played on a lot of radio stations or received a significant amount of airplay in general. (No "Stairway to Heaven" or "Freebird" here even though many people consider these to be a rock classic.)

The artists and songs might be popular in a particular region or area. In some cases, a particular radio station is responsible for making the song a "rock classic". You may know some of these songs as Lone Classics, Sunday Morning Classics, KSHE Klassics, Beaker Street Classics, Lost Classics, Classic Cuts, or by a number of other names depending on where you live and the radio stations in your area.

These are songs from artists or albums that contained a "hit" song, but the "rock classic" song was overlooked by most radio stations and the listening public. In other cases, the song might be categorized as a "one hit wonder".

My first picks:

Don't Pay the Ferryman ~ Chris DeBurgh (1982)

Sufficiently Breathless ~ Captain Beyond (1973)

Dead and Gone ~ Gypsy (1970)

We Gotta Get You a Woman ~ Todd Rundgren (1970)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked that song. Nothing that I Didn't Know by Procol Harum is somewhat unknown as well. I was thinking of adding Dear Jill but not sure of that one.

I was really surprised to find YouTube links to a couple of those :D

Pride of Man -– Quicksilver Messenger Service

Omaha -– Moby Grape

I was really surprised to find YouTube links to a couple ...

I'd wanted to include some songs by The Hoodoo Rhythm Devils, but didn't have that kind of YouTube luck.

All Tore Down and Too Hot To Handle got pretty consistent airplay on San Francisco FM back in the day ([smaller]enough to prompt me to buy the Barbecue of DeVille album on vinyl [/smaller]), but apparently not so much anywhere else. Funny, I always expected they would be a bigger hit.

:bow: :bow: to all these great songs (Love the QSM song bazooka)! Funny, how some songs are so very classic to you, and then you find that they were regional hits, little known outside your area. I found that out with Post Toastee this week in the Top Ten.

There are so many great ones though! I love the chance to hear songs I don't know by great old groups, or be reminded of a great old song I haven't heard in years! ;)

...(Love the QSM song bazooka).. Funny, how some songs are so very classic to you, and then you find that they were regional hits, little known outside your area.

Quicksilver, as they were known locally (without the [smaller] 'Messenger Service' [/smaller]), was one of the first San Francisco Psychedelic groups to get a record deal, but they didn't hit nationwide, I guess. Conflicts in style and personnel changes caused the band to slowly deteriorate.

Here's another of Quicksilver's early tracks that many might not be familiar with:

a stinging live version of Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love .