Once Naked For Nirvana, Now A Teen Spirit

Viaene

Once Naked For Nirvana, Now A Teen Spirit

Imagine if millions of people had seen you naked before you were old enough to say "embarrassing." That's the story of Spencer Elden, whom you may know as the little baby floating towards a dollar bill on the cover of Nirvana's 1991 album, Nevermind, reprots NPR.

Nearly 17 years later, amid hating school and playing water polo, Elden is still struggling to make sense of his (very) public image.

"Quite a few people in the world have seen my penis," he says from his home in Los Angeles. "So that's kinda cool. I'm just a normal kid living it up and doing the best I can while I'm here."

Nevermind is often credited with changing the face of rock. Elden's naked participation in this important moment in music history was rather accidental; Kirk Weddle, the photographer working on the cover, was simply a friend of Spencer's dad, Rick.

"[He] calls us up and was like, 'Hey Rick, wanna make 200 bucks and throw your kid in the drink?,'" Rick recounts. "I was like, 'What's up?' And he's like, 'Well, I'm shooting kids all this week, why don't you meet me at the Rose Bowl, throw your kid in the drink?' And we just had a big party at the pool, and no one had any idea what was going on!"

Three months later, while driving down Sunset Blvd., the Elden family spotted a 9-foot-by-9-foot Spencer floating across Tower Records' wall. Two months later, Geffen Records sent 1-year-old Spencer Elden a platinum album and a teddy bear.

Over the coming years, 26 million albums were sold. As Elden learned to walk, talk and sing — his pale baby arms stretched across millions of grungy fans' walls; his private parts stood magnified across billboards and floors.

In some places, his image stuck. The other day, his friends spotted a giant Nevermind photo on the floor of a record store in Hollywood.

"My friend is all like, 'Hey I saw you today.' And I'm like, 'Dude, I was working all day.' And he's like, 'No, I went to Geffen Records, and you're on the floor and you're floating and I stepped on your face. 'Cause I guess they have like a floating thing where people can like walk on me and stuff ... so it's kinda cool," he says.

Poor kid. I'll bet all the high school girls laugh and point at him, and make gestures where they put their thumb and second finger just a few centimeters apart.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

I think that's great that you can feel and identify with his 'pain' , Sammy ! ... yet not quite the pain Youklis is feeling after a beaner from Joba , once again ... :coolio: :guitar:

I think that's great that you can feel and identify with his 'pain' , Sammy ! ... yet not quite the pain Youklis is feeling after a beaner from Joba , once again ... :coolio: :guitar:

Actually, I could knock you out cold with my "pain". :thumbsup:

As for Jabba, he missed...again...hit his bat. Don't go praising this guy just yet, Dude. Mark my words: he's going to cost the Yanks a HUGE game down the stretch - the one that finally puts them out of the playoff race for good. He'll walk about six or seven with that "curveball", over which he has no control, and get his fatass flattened...probably at Fenway, or possibly in Toronto.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

You're kidding about Matsuzaka, right? The guy's 11-2 this year, and 27-12 in his major league career. That's pretty f***in' good. A few more good starts, and this guy's got the Cy Young in the bag. Who's even close?....Mike Mussina?! Ha ha ha! Just having some fun with you there.

Sure, Dice-K walks a lot of guys, but he's wicked tough to hit, so he doesn't give up a lot of runs. And with his win in Game 7 of the playoffs and Game 3 of the World Series last year, combined with MVP in the World Baseball Classic, he has established himself as the best big game pitcher IN THE WORLD! He's almost worth the 100 million they paid for him.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: